Concrete SPL build

keep_hope_alive
Premium Member

Acoustics Engineer
I am building an SPL setup for a friend. I have the plan and physics will dictate all dimensions. I will share the build process, of course.

End goal will be four Massive N2's and pair of Fi 18's in a mid 90's Astro Van. Will form a wall with two separate enclosures at the C-pillars to retain 4 seats.

First is a single sub on a single amp.

The enclosure will be 3" of concrete. I know how I am going to build the forms with 3/4" OSB.

The first step will have the enclosure facing back, loading off a concrete "L".

The suspension will be reinforced. the enclosure will be rigidly secured to the vehicle. Roof and doors will also end up being reinforced.

Will be vented with a removable plug for SPL and run sealed for daily. Will use processing for the two modes.

Any comments/experience from you with concrete builds is welcome.

This will be fun.

Tuned in for sure! You always give enough pics to explain everything properly and thoroughly, thus insuring I learn something. Plus I fap to a couple, sorry, nature of the game. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/boink.gif.91933e72f927f2cefc79aff02573090c.gif

He has a good Clarion HU, Jl C5 comps, and the comps will be amped. Goal will be daily SQ. some local shops use a TermLab in the pass dash corner for local comps, but I'll refer to other rule books to determine classes ahead of time.

Final weight is a concern, and the type of concrete mix will be chosen based on final design weight... But we live near Iowa, so if it can haul six Iowans around, it can haul some concrete...

i talked tto you on the phone about this. cant wait to see it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif_

Why are you going with a 3" thickness, with a good portland cement you should be able to pour a VERY dense rigid enclosure and not have to go beyond 1.5" in thickness also portland has a very tight structure to it after it has set-up, it's usaually mixed with sand to change it's consistency but I would use as little of that as possible.

I agree thickness can be varied based on cement used. Which affects other variables. Thinner with higher density can weigh the same... But something I will consider. That's the input I am looking for.

I have seen on construction sites that Foam has been used,and (chicken wire?) wrapped around that, and concrete sprayed on top of that, and felt pretty solid when finished.I have also thought about the concrete board that is generally used in commercial buildings for rest rooms/counter tops for tiling ect.just a couple of other ideas possibly for concrete structure.Yet, I am Subscribed:santa:

I have seen on construction sites that Foam has been used,and (chicken wire?) wrapped around that, and concrete sprayed on top of that, and felt pretty solid when finished.I have also thought about the concrete board that is generally used in commercial buildings for rest rooms/counter tops for tiling ect.just a couple of other ideas possibly for concrete structure.Yet, I am Subscribed:santa:
Heard good things about cement board. Laminate together a few layers of that with resin on top of a few layers of wood laminated together with resin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.