To port or not to port...

Participant count
  • Participant list

agarabaghi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So i finished my box, but the port had not arrived yet so i left it sealed. Im running an SA10 on ~1000watts from an Audiopipe APSM1300.

Im very impressed with how it sounds. I had a similar box in the same setup for an SXX, but I believe the box was too small for the SXX. The SXX sounded great also, but the SA10 seems to be tighter and punchier, not sure which is louder.

The box looks like this, and you can see where the aero port would go.

imagevmgp.jpg

The interior volume of the box is: 1.39 ft^3 before displacement of the sub...

This would yield approx: ~1.27ft^3 after speaker displacement.

Im not sure how much displacement a 17" long 4" wide aero port will displace, but according to the calculator on psp-inc

17" long flared port would give me about 37.5hz tuning.

Is that tuned a little too high? Should i just keep it in the sealed box?

That enclosure is to large to go sealed. If you want adjust sound do it with the port. Make it longer to lower tuning and see where that takes you.

SO i will potentially damage the sub? It seems to be playing fine, and it not over extending it's self at all.

Where do i get longer ports? I would need something like 20" flared port to get it around 35hz. Can i get a longer middle section?

SO i will potentially damage the sub? It seems to be playing fine, and it not over extending it's self at all.
Where do i get longer ports? I would need something like 20" flared port to get it around 35hz. Can i get a longer middle section?
Yea, if you look around you can find 6ft long sections that you can cut down.

and hint as to where?

Oh, check our your box plans modifited... I put basically a \_/ top and front to get closer to the sides and then ill carpet.

imagenwh.jpg

imageaxep.jpg

Looks much better. Sorry I didn't get back to your PM the other day. I was out of town for a bit and as always I get far to many PMs lol.

As for the port, let me see if I can track them down for you.

No worries. It confused me for a while, but this time i built the box with the boat next to us so we could do some test fits. Let me know if you find any ...

I went with 3" x 15" aero port, which puts my tuning a hair over 30hz. Holy crap is it louder. It his some of the notes that the sa10 in the small sealed box can't duplicate.

Songs like Put On make everything from my chest to my boat tower rattle. Very please with the results!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.