running power wire today -- quick question

cunningStunts
10+ year member

VA
making my power cable run today in my 2000 gmc jimmy. my question is about the anl fuse holder.

i'll be running the 4awg cable along the firewall to a hole i made above the throttle cable. will putting the fuse holder directly behind the engine (maybe 5-7 inches of room between the engine and firewall) be a "bad" idea?

i'm worried about heat destroying the holder. the wires and fuse holder both came from KnuKonceptz, so quality shouldn't be an issue.

You will be fine. Just look at whats around and on your engine, plastic... heat wont be a problem unless your right next to the exhaust.

The power wire casing will melt before fuse holder (just scaring you a little lol)

making my power cable run today in my 2000 gmc jimmy. my question is about the anl fuse holder.
i'll be running the 4awg cable along the firewall to a hole i made above the throttle cable. will putting the fuse holder directly behind the engine (maybe 5-7 inches of room between the engine and firewall) be a "bad" idea?

i'm worried about heat destroying the holder. the wires and fuse holder both came from KnuKonceptz, so quality shouldn't be an issue.
THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!! It needs to be within 18 inches of of the battery. If you don't do that, you might as well not even have a fuse.

THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!! It needs to be within 18 inches of of the battery. If you don't do that, you might as well not even have a fuse.
This. Fuse as close to battery as possible. Any wire between the battery and the fuse is unprotected and can cause a fire.

may be kind of dumb, but what causes a short to happen?
A short happens when the wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery touches any metal part of the vehicle. This allows an uncontrolled flow of current from - to +. The massive, instant flow of current generates tremendous heat in the wire. The insulation on the wire starts on fire.

If the fuse is between the battery + and the spot where the cable accidentaly grounds out, the fuse will blow, stopping the current flow, and saving your arse. That is the job of the fuse, to protect you should something go wrong.

so the only way a short would happen is if the cables insultion got punctured or sliced and the wires inside touched anything.

so if i could protect that insulation, i in turn wouldnt ever get a short. correct?

and thank you for the explanation wevie!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.