How to clean\polish rims. Ver. 1.0

jeeper07
5,000+ posts

Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting
I came across a set of polished aluminum wheels for a pretty good price, but someone had been neglecting them for the last couple years. So i decided id find out what worked best to clean these wheels up and make them look like new. Should be easy right, WRONG takes some time and sweat. So here is a write up from my own personal experience on how to clean rims and what works best. Like it, love it, use it, or hate it heres my .02.

The rims i started with

CIMG2251.jpg

Some Close ups

CIMG2262.jpg

CIMG2266.jpg

As you can see a lot of staining and dirt build up. Just all around very dull, dirty, stained, and grimey.

Here is with mothers metal polish by hand. On the spoke in the center right side was polished with cleaner then buffed off.

CIMG2271.jpg

Here is the first set of products i used.

CIMG2272.jpg

CIMG2293.jpg

And here is how it looks after going over one time took about 6 hours.

CIMG2275.jpg

Next i used 800 grit sand paper and wet sanded and redid all the polishing again with the speed ball on the bigger parts and on the lip and all crevices where the spokes meet the lip i did by hand.

CIMG2281.jpg

Hard to see.

CIMG2278.jpg

Heres one that i went over twice compared to one in the shape i got them in.

CIMG2285.jpg

So i was happy with it but not overly happy with how it looked and i went over them again which helped but still not 100% so i went back today and got some other products. I wanted to get Blue Magic Metal cleaner and Never Dull but the never dull was sold out so i settled for just the blue magic.

I took one of the rims i was already done with and did 4 different things on the lip all next to each other.

The new product, Blue Magic and 1500 Grit Sandpaper.

CIMG2289.jpg

CIMG2288.jpg

From Left to right coming around the bottom i did:

1500 Grit with a dry microfiber towel polish after, Blue Magic polish, 1500 Grit wetsand and Blue Magic, 1500 Grit wetsand and Mothers.

I KNOW THESE ARE HARD TO SEE BUT TAKE MY WORD FOR RESULTS.

CIMG2294.jpg

CIMG2295.jpg

RESULTS:

Blue magic by itself works best for an already clean surface like i was using. Tomorrow im going to get 2000 grit and see how it looks, but with 1500 then blue magic it took me 2 times to polish it to not notice the very small scratches. IN conclusion for upkeep use blue magic which also leaves a silicone layer to help protect and seal the rims as well. Mothers does not offer any such protection. FOR ROUGH rims like i had i reccomend using the powerball first with the powerball wax then using 800 grit then 1500 grit and then the power ball again to knock down any left over scratches and then blue magic which is what i will do with my remaining rims. Let me know if this helped at all or if there is anything else you want me to try.

Thanks

JB

Looking good. Nice to see you got your computer fixed after rebooting lol ( I waited like you asked //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif ) That mothers polish is really nice stuff. Looks like they came out really nice. Can't wait to see the truck lowered over them should look sweet.

haha that i did. Mothers certainly did do well, im interested to see if the blue magic is only good for upkeep or if it will do as well as the mothers did from the beginning. I have 2 more rims to do that i will be doing a lot of comparing and different techniques with. ill update when im finished probably this weekend

sounds good, always nice to hear the results of peoples experimentation. I know I used the mothers polish to I guess restore the windshield trim on my old truck, it was all faded and cloudy and just no shine at all and after working at it by hand with the mothers polish and elbow grease it would shine like new

yea for small parts and crevices and such i dont think anything can beat elbow grease, but ive heard of reallllly small polishing pads for dremels that im gonna try to find tomorrow

Uuuugggghhhh, polished rims are the worst... So difficult to maintain.
Excellent work, I can only imagine how much fun that was.

What are you going to apply as a sealant?
As of right now i would have to agree. How ever they are light as hell which helps considering i am going for a performance truck (eventually //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif) Other 20s this wide and big would probably be about 80-100 lbs these are about 50-60 id say. And i like the look of them but they will be a pain.

As far as sealer i dont know yet. I was looking at the local autozone today and they had NO metal or aluminum sealers. So it might have to be something i buy online or if anyone knows a good brand and where to get it.

I would stay away from sanding with chrome, however there are plenty of ways to get them out, unless its pitting but go to ur local car store and check out the polishes they have for chrome

EDIT: I know turtle wax makes a fantastic polish for chrome. Ill get a pic of what i have tomorrow its about 10 years old now but i think they still make it and it looks just the same.

As far as sealer i dont know yet. I was looking at the local autozone today and they had NO metal or aluminum sealers. So it might have to be something i buy online or if anyone knows a good brand and where to get it.
http://www.premiumautocare.com/ultimate-paint-protection.html > All //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Lasted on my Bonneville for over 7 months before the car was towed away to charity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.