whats difference between midrange and midbass?

As far as music goes Ive always considered mid-range to be mens voices and lower guitar parts and mid bass to be toms and other high tuned drums. Im probably way off though there is probably a certain technical frequency range.

Midbass is going to play your lower frequencies like up to 60 hz or whereever you set your xover at and midrange will play the frequencies between your midbass and tweeter

well, midrange is techinically the frequency range that reproduces human voice

midbass is everything below it, till you get to subbass, which i'm not sure is defined by LAW......

obviously for automotive use, it's bass that's too low to be directional, but i don't know if the same rule is used for home audio/theater

so in a component set, is it a midrange or a midbass? and if its a midrange, what do people normally do for that 150hz region thats not covered. im confused, i wanted to buy a component set, but i dont want to run a dedicated midbass.

midrange and midbass aren't the names of speakers, but names given to certain ranges of the audible frequency range

in a 2-way system, a woofer is used to reproduce midbass AND midrange, and a dedicated midrange driver in a 3-way component setup is usually referred to as a squawker, and then we all know and love the tweeter, and then comes the always contraversial supertweeter, which plays from anywhere from 5-20khz up to 30-60khz, for people who have more money than sense, and want to call dogs and squirrels from miles away.

ok so in a 2way component set, both speakers collectively play from 80 or so hz to 20kHz correct? the only time you need a midbass is when you are using a 3way set right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.