I thought the title would grab attention. But neways, i'm wondering if 2.25" mdf would be strong enough not to brace in long runs. I'm gunna have panels spanning 48x48" or there about and i was wondering if i used 2.25" mdf would i still have to brace. Thank you.

i still would...but that is some thick wood....using 3 sheets thick of .75?

wow. that IS thick wood. HEAVY TOO. Brace, just in case. Long pieces are easier to get moving, long AND wide, even though it is over 2" thick, I'd brace.

PICS of THIS project for sure.

Doug Blohm

Team Southern Bass

if you have access to 1" it'll be cheaper.

What kind of vehicle is it, and do you plan on actually driving it?

JJcIMRT.gif

Why so thick?

Best receiver ever?

I think so

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Laminate 2 1" peices, and you shouldnt require bracing. 1" MDF BARELY flexes on a whole sheet, so id say that 2 laminted together wouldnt budge.

Psyence

2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Stock Nav System w/ Sync

Audison Bit One Processor

Audison LRx 5.1K Amplifier

Hertz MLK165's Bi-Amped Components

Hertz ES250 (2) Sealed Woofers

what do you need 48x48"sheets for anyways? and 2.25" thick? :eek:

lol..sum guy thinks a box make subs tight..

a box might help alil....so you saying if ya 15 is in the same box as my 10. theyre both as tight as each other???

whatever..the thing is the mark means something..so you thought i have a 10 foot sub???

this guy is the dumest of you all....HAHahahAHAhaHahAHAhaHa

oh i think the lil boy complaining is talking about i hit a n instead of a s. it confused him..

i'm sorry lil boy now is it better......its 10'' is tighter.

my 2 marks are too far apart i'm going back to 1. it means inches lil boys..ok

ports should ALWAYS be larger than your capacitor

http://shecant.myminicity.com/ind

Umm...a big box? :D

I remember John posted pictures of a box he built with 2" MDF, with his girlfriend inside the box. Beefy stuff.

qXvZLUF.png

Umm...a big box? :D

I remember John posted pictures of a box he built with 2" MDF, with his girlfriend inside the box. Beefy stuff.

wasnt it some other kind of "wood" besides mdf? snova correct?

JJcIMRT.gif

I thought the title would grab attention. But neways, i'm wondering if 2.25" mdf would be strong enough not to brace in long runs. I'm gunna have panels spanning 48x48" or there about and i was wondering if i used 2.25" mdf would i still have to brace. Thank you.

2 peices of 3/4 glued together would work the best, if not 1 inch should work and not flex , and whoever said a whole sheet of MDF doesnt bend , yeah right, have 2 people hold each end and it'll bend noticable, even one inch will, but i doubt at 4ft by 4 ft

REFS: 02Corvette, skadude016, Flakko, Karleon, SPL140.2, Req, Jazn, Acidburn, Fastwake, Jester7500, robbyboy32, Mr loki x 3 THUMBSDOWN , puppie chow, bimma85, projectpat06, diminishedpower, seth350, kngofthepnglot, mattmcss, termlab, mindless, zachzchw , guy022077, shakura 98.5% ebay and theres a few i forgot

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

That was me that said that, and of course it bends a little(thats why it says HARDLY), but not nearly as much as 3/4" thus the reason why i said to laminate 2 together.

Psyence

2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Stock Nav System w/ Sync

Audison Bit One Processor

Audison LRx 5.1K Amplifier

Hertz MLK165's Bi-Amped Components

Hertz ES250 (2) Sealed Woofers

actually this question is for a wall, i wanted to triple up 3/4" mdf on the big big pieces because thats where the speakers will actually be mounted+ the "dance floor" because it'll be rather large as well. Thanks for the answers though, i should be starting this on saturday or sunday so pics will soon follow.

actually this question is for a wall, i wanted to triple up 3/4" mdf on the big big pieces because thats where the speakers will actually be mounted+ the "dance floor" because it'll be rather large as well. Thanks for the answers though, i should be starting this on saturday or sunday so pics will soon follow.

2 will be enough, but if you want three, just make sure enough pressure is applyed when glueing the 3 togther, since 3 3/4 why not just 2 1" much easier

REFS: 02Corvette, skadude016, Flakko, Karleon, SPL140.2, Req, Jazn, Acidburn, Fastwake, Jester7500, robbyboy32, Mr loki x 3 THUMBSDOWN , puppie chow, bimma85, projectpat06, diminishedpower, seth350, kngofthepnglot, mattmcss, termlab, mindless, zachzchw , guy022077, shakura 98.5% ebay and theres a few i forgot

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

i cant really find 1" around here, i have access to a lowes and home depot and i have never found 1" mdf at either.:(

i had 2 layers of .75" on all the sides except the front baffle which was 3 layers...if i was going to do it again, id put 2 layers of 1" on all and 3 for the front baffle.

Plan on doing atleast 4-5" walls in the van though, so like I said..if you plan on actually driving the thing, you should be fine with what you have planned..if youre not, and its for spl...overkill it 2x.

you wont find 1" at howes or hd, but a lumber yard should have it...hell get something bigger if they have it.

JJcIMRT.gif

A local lumberyard should stock it...most home improvement places don't stock anything over 3/4" in MDF or BB...

qXvZLUF.png

if this is for SPL and you're worried about flexing, do 1 piece of MDF, 2 inches of concrete, then 1 inch of mdf on the outside, like sandwich some concrete, you can get 48x48 pieces of lead in there too, you can buy those at a roofing supply store.

what is this project for?

the ultimate wooferbox is made of 9 inch thick lead so they say.. but for cars, concrete with lead sheets is as good as you can get

-

this is a daily driver in that i might take it back and forth a couple miles every now and again but i have an 03 explorer too. o yea, this is in a ford taurus. Why you ask, cause i didnt wanna get another vehicle! Its gunna be 4 04' series L7 15's and 4 ma audio hk1998's. Why this equipment you ask. CAUSE ITS CHEAP! Thnx for advise you guys, pics tomorrow

i take it you're taking out the backseat/trunk for this? what box specs?

pics for sure, sounds like a hell of a build, how many alternators?

-

JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE.....BUT....couldnt you just get 1" MDF, get a bunch of sheet metal, throw dynamat on the sheet metal and then sandwhich that in between the 2 pieces of 1" MDF, so it wont resonate.?

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now