1st FG project, stealth EU-700 install in Accord ***pics***

cellularjedi
10+ year member

A friend wanted to add some bass, but didn't want to lose any room in his trunk. Car is a 2002 Honda accord... the rear sides in the trunk have those plastic storage things, and he uses them too, so couldn't FG anything into the corners.

So, here's what I came up with, three eD EU-700's in the spare tire. Luckily, there was exactly the room necessary to get them to fit. Here's what we started with:

And here's the initial mold (looks like a bunt cake mold!)

Test fit... top piece is 3/4" MDF, subs are recessed so the top of the surround is pretty well flush with the top of the wood. The edges are ~1/16" from each other. The thing in the middle is a cabinet pull. Was going to use it to pull the enclosure out in case of a flat tire, but I will probably take it out and redesign... proved to be quite hard to remove like that!

And here are the subs mounted. Box is heavily stuffed w/ polyfill. Total of ~.8cf before polyfill. 2 coats of black spray paint, 3 layers of clearcoat. The pics are horrible, makes it look really uneven, but it is really smooth in person.

Top is connected to the base with super strength wood glue. The resin I was using didn't seem to bond well to the MDF, so I glued the hell out of the sucker. It's not coming apart //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Finally, installed into the trunk. Fits perfectly, definitely don't have to worry about securing it. We had a really, really hard time even pulling it out.

And of course, with the carpet back down.

Using the stock HU with a LOC, they are powered with a Directed 350d amp, getting ~80w each.

He got the amp mounted and wired up tonight, turned up the gains on the LOC, and loves the sound! Even with the carpet covering the speakers, it gets louder than he could ever want.

I haven't heard them yet... will be able to Monday when we get back into work. Hopefully I'll be able to give a review of the sound then

Comments are welcome, good and bad. This is my first FG project, so be gentle...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

try this... measure where the speakers are, and instead of the carpet, cut holes out and use grill clothe instead. It will be much louder that way.

pict00483py.jpg

sweet..did a nice job cuttin that

i was thinking the same thing.

you did a VERY awesome job your first time. your glass looks really smooth, and all together it just looks like you took your time and did it right.

great idea about the wheel gap there. that should be done stock tbh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Very nice job. Get some wetsanding and buffing action on the clear and it will shimmer like a mirror.

try this... measure where the speakers are, and instead of the carpet, cut holes out and use grill clothe instead. It will be much louder that way.

Were it mine, that's exactly what I would do... but so far he likes the way it sounds, wo we'll leave it that way. If (when) he decides he wants it louder, that is the first thing we'll do... then get a bigger amp!

sweet..did a nice job cuttin that

Thanks! Coundn't figure out a good way to cut it and have it straight, so I freehanded it with a jigsaw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.