@ 4 750 W RMS x 1

@ 3 750 W RMS x 1

@ 2 750 W RMS x 1

@ 1.5 750 W RMS x 1

This is the Zapco...

@ 4-Ohms: 750W

@ 2-Ohms: 1100W

@ 1-Ohms: 1650W

These are completely different types of amplifiers from what I can see...I dont know much about zapco but what wiring configuration do you plan to use and how much power were you looking for?

Which amp would you recommend as your sub amp between the two....and why.
Zapco ST-1650XM II

JL Audio HD750/1

Thanks!
giltyler laid out the amp specs for you.

What do you need the amp to do?

My preference is Zapco - Zapco is known for producing great amps, JL Audio is known for great sub woofers.

Zapco: More than double the power but that means you'll need a beefier electrical system to feed it. Also strappable for more power and less expensive.

JL only needs a 60 amp fuse so it could be added to most stock electrical systems without issue.

-Eric

JL isnt known for great amps? I think the amps are pretty good.

Depending on where you wire, you will actually get more power out of the JL. The JL will do its numbers reactive, the zapco does its power nominally.

I dont have a preference. Both good amps. Just some points to consider

JL isnt known for great amps? I think the amps are pretty good.
Depending on where you wire, you will actually get more power out of the JL. The JL will do its numbers reactive, the zapco does its power nominally.

I dont have a preference. Both good amps. Just some points to consider
Interesting perspective and I've never heard anything bad about JL amps.

Can you elaborate on the reactive vs. nominal concept? Not the definition but where you've read (or witnessed) that the JL will drive full power into an actual speaker load and the Zapco will only do it into a dummy resistive load?

-Eric

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The JL is a regulated power supply. It will make 750w up to 4.5ohm (this says 4, i think some are 4.5).

Where you wire is nominal. Where your resistance ends up after music is played is reactive.

If you wire to 2ohm and rise to 4 on the JL, you will still get 750w.

In the same scenario on the zapco, you will not get the 2ohm rating (1100) but the 4ohm rating (750).

Keep in mind, that since music is dynamic, this impendence curve will constantly change.

The zapco is unregulated, meaning voltage drop and impedence rise will limit its output.

Does it matter in daily music? Some say not at all. I think the RIPS technology in the JL amps gives them a nice dynamic sound across the sprectrum.

Some say it cant be heard. Idk. You cant go wrong here, and regulated vs unregulated doesnt matter much here. But theres same basic info regarding it

The JL is a regulated power supply. It will make 750w up to 4.5ohm (this says 4, i think some are 4.5).
Thank for your input!

I'll admit I didn't know about the RIPS technology in two of the JL lines and it's an interesting take on regulating power. I wonder if some would say there's an audible difference with mids and highs (these are sub amps so probably not) and typical amps produce power based on impedance which some may argue makes them more dynamic. I've never heard these JL amps so I can't say either way.

-Eric

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.