Yup it's another engine whine thread, 2 Culprits left

soderdna
10+ year member

In my continuing battle with engine whine im down to 2 things. Either my rca cables are trash or the amp running my speakers is fubar. What I need clarification on is the way to figure out which one is effed. Im thinking I unplug the RCA's from the amp and turn the car and the deck on. If I hear noise then the amp is effed and if I don't then the rca's are effed. Am I right? or is there another variable im missing. Keep in mind folks, this is an 06 Pontiac G5, battery is in the trunk from factory so no power wire is running with my RCA's. I even went further and ran my remote on the opposite side of the RCA's. Another concern I had is, can speaker wire pick up engine noise? Thanks for all the help guys, im confident i'll get it figured out!

Ok so it's not a Pioneer and their typical RCA problem.

Do you have a spare set of RCA cables laying around that you could swap out and see if it makes a difference?

I'm assuming you've checked all your grounds (HU, Battery and Amp)

Ya the grounds check out, but i dont have extra rca's unfortunately. I just tried my theory and the engine whine disapeared. So does that mean my rca's are no good? Their Stinger products.

doesnt matter the brand any rca can go bad.......try getting a cheap pair of rca's to test and see...if not it could be a bad ground for the headunit....

well the headunit is grounded to the harness, ive tried grounding it to the battery or frame but the whine gets louder and it pops on power up

Ya the grounds check out, but i dont have extra rca's unfortunately. I just tried my theory and the engine whine disapeared. So does that mean my rca's are no good? Their Stinger products.
With no RCAs in place the signal from the HU isn't getting to the amp....so I don't think it proves anything because the whine could still be at the HU or at the amp, but you wouldn't hear it.

Is the whine coming out of the just the subs or all the speakers?

With no RCAs in place the signal from the HU isn't getting to the amp....so I don't think it proves anything because the whine could still be at the HU or at the amp, but you wouldn't hear it.
Is the whine coming out of the just the subs or all the speakers?
all speakers nothing out of the subs

ive been thinking that the sheer fact that the amp is so close to the battery is probably the culprit. I don't think i can ever get rid of it. I bought 2 ground loop isolators, and before you kill me, they came highly recomended by my friend. As you could probably guess they did nothing, I think maybe making slightly quieter but not the silence im seeking.

Here is a rough outline of my system.

setup.jpg

buy a noise filter, and put it in your stereo power line, works almost every-time if that doesn't work check your grounds, if need be resort to ground loop isolators.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.