You can't put the smoke back in...

It almost sounds like you were running to much mid, and low through those speakers. No they do not commonly blow. Not 2 at the same time.

That's what I thought... I was running them on the crossover that came with them and had the amp crossover set to 100 hz HPF for them. I ran all new 12 guage speaker wire for them and 4 guage power back, so they should be getting clean power. I hope the new ones end up working better....

100 hz is midbass. A typical crossover point for a 6.5" comp set is 80ish hz and around 100 hz for a 5.25 set. Even with no other crossover on the tweet, the passive crossover will have the tweeter level 63 dB down at 100Hz assuming a 12dB/oct crossover at 3000Hz. That is not the problem. It is more likely that the levels are not set correctly and that something is clipping somewhere in the signal chain. Were you really cranking it or what?

this worries me. I just got a pair of the s500a installed today. I have 100 watts running to each channel. I hope I do not have this problem. Where did you install your crossovers?? The guys that did mine put them in my door. And I do not like that. So I am looking to getting them out of my door soon and in a better spot. The only thing is it is going to be a pain in the ass getting the speaker wire in through to the door. any ideas on this??

I was using the Diamond Audio crossovers, so the x-over point is 4500 Hz. I never drove these components to the point where I could HEAR clipping, but something had to be messed up in the chain. I will let you all know how it works out when I get my midbass and new tweeters installed.

FYI, the Diamond Audio rep informed my dealer that a small batch of soft dome tweeters made it out of their new manufacturing facility with a defective filament, so they are replacing the tweeters free of charge. I'll let you all know how the new tweets and midbass sound on saturday.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.