y adapter needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

CHUCKmfnNORRIS
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
CT
the owners manual for my mono amp says to use a y adapter to split a single one of the rca's to go into the two inputs on the amp. is it needed or can i just plug the two in without using the splitter? the local audio shop said it isn't needed and it will give a stronger signal to the amp, is he correct?

Not sure what make or model is your amplifier, but for my JBL BP1200.1 there is a 4 channel input for a mono output. Apparently this amplifier uses a differential type input so the input won't be sensitive to front-to-rear fader position. Use of this feature requires that all four inputs are connected to the source unit as labeled on the amplifier (front, rear, right and left).

In summary, if you have a strong input rca signal then your amplifier should be able to produce full power with only 2 channel input. If you have a weak rca signal, use the Y-splitter. The gain settings are different with Y-splitters and without.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3669/dsc02148y.jpg

the amp is a mb quart dsc 1500.1d, the directions do say to split just one of the rca's to plug into the two rca inputs, and the rca connectors on the amp are colored black and not white and red.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CHUCKmfnNORRIS

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
CHUCKmfnNORRIS
CT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date