xxx mid and power question

wow
10+ year member

ONE LOVE MOFO
i am thinking of buying a pair of xxx6.5 mids and would like to run them off of a van gogh 500.4. that would be giving each one 250 watts @ 2 ohm. i will be running them ib with sound deadened doors ---all holes sealed----active-----and was wondering if that is just too much power for them. i do listen to my music loud and would have my gains set accordingly with my headunit but i dont want to have to worry about cranking it and the speakers blowing. (being that rms is 150 watts). any input would be appreciated.

thanks

I am sure they can handle that power just fine, but like you said watch the gains and volume don't get carried away and they should be fine.

I would seriously be careful with that much power. You're pretty close to double their RMS rating.........use a VERY conservative gain setting.

yea and that was also with 150 rms... you are going to have problems with the extra power, so if you cross them higher you will be able to handle more power... but like sqeak said you need to be careful with the gain

its not that it is too much power for the xxx6.5's its that you need to make sure you dont over excurt the voice coil... thermally the voice coil needs less power than what it give, so if you raise the crossover setting you can throw more power at the coil without being overally concerned with it bottoming out...

I dont think that i explained it right so in general I think the xxx6.5's can handle a 250 load with the right crossover setting...

Thermal power handling is thermal power handling, regardless of crossover frequency. If 250w is too much power (heat wise) for the coil, it's going burn up......regardless of where the crossover is set //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Movement = heat. Excursion = movement. Lower frequencies = more excursion.

I'd say putting some kind of back pressure (hint: enclosure) would greatly increase the power handling of those little suckers.

Movement = heat. Excursion = movement. Lower frequencies = more excursion.
The excursion would have a cooling effect on the VC (more air passing by the coil). So, more excursion would actually be better, not worse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

But, regardless.....you aren't going to double a voice coils thermal capacity unless you pack it in ice before you play it.

I'd say putting some kind of back pressure (hint: enclosure) would greatly increase the power handling of those little suckers.
Yeah, the mechanical power handling.......not much thermal benefit, or atleast not enough to double it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.