WTH is a 2bolt & 4bolt main?

the bolts refer to your main caps... some main caps use 4 bolts some use 2 bolts to attach to the block.... the 4 bolts are stronger.. and if you intend to build a motor that will have some power get a 4 bolt main block...

I am asking is because I am getting a caprice with the LT-1, only problem is the caprice LT-1 is a 2 bolt main. So my alternatives are be happy with a max 400 horse beater (I read that a 2 bolt is good for a max of 400 ponies), swap engines or ???? Oh and all of this is on Fantasy Island right now. I am gonna get the car real soon but won't have money to dump into it for a while because I am dumping all my current funds into the stereo, rims and a drop.

I am asking is because I am getting a caprice with the LT-1, only problem is the caprice LT-1 is a 2 bolt main. So my alternatives are be happy with a max 400 horse beater, swap engines or ???? Oh and all of this is on Fantasy Island right now. I am gonna get the car real soon but won't have money to dump into it for a while because I am dumping all my current funds into the stereo, rims and a drop.
even a 400hp B-body will be smoking fast, and i know people with over 400hp on Impalas so i dont think it makes that big of a difference

hey polecat, doesn't 400 sb chevys only come with 2 bolt mains...

there is an option some machine shops will do where they turn a 2 bolt( l o l ) main into a 4 bolt angled ( \\ o // ) main, which is stronger than the normal 4 bolt( ll o ll ). i think it's an rpm based upgrade mainly.

have you heard about the upgrade to a 6 bolt ?? the outside extra two go at an angle into a thicker part of the block..

also the new gto's.. and the upcoming LS7 vettes will both have six bolt mains.. the LS7 will be a 427.. with an amazing bottom end..

hey polecat, doesn't 400 sb chevys only come with 2 bolt mains...there is an option some machine shops will do where they turn a 2 bolt( l o l ) main into a 4 bolt angled ( \\ o // ) main, which is stronger than the normal 4 bolt( ll o ll ). i think it's an rpm based upgrade mainly.
no, there were two different castings, 509's were better...there were:

casting 3951509, came out in 70-71 and they all were 4 bolt mains, then castings 3951509, from 74-80, were two bolt, these are the years to have, then in 70-73, casting 3951511, were 4 bolt, but some from the factory outlets had some 2 bolt mains.

My 406 I built was a 509 casting, 74-80, 2 bolt...and I had an eagle rotating assembly, crank, 6" rods, JE forged pistons, etc...11:1, dart Pro 1 aluminum heads, 1.6 Comp roller rockers, RPM inatke and Holley HP series race carb...man, I miss that engine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Looking at those pics would be of any use to simply purchase some hardcore titanium or magnesium alloy whatever bolts. I mean the concern is bolt right? Just a question, not that I will actully do it but I am curious if uber bolts would make a diff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.