WTF? why is this happening?

Jeff06
10+ year member

I just installed my system in my 2000 dodge durango after taking it out of my grand am and everything works fine but when i play CDs no sound comes out of my speakers, only my subs. I have no idea why, i keep checkin my wireing and keep checking the settings on my Alpine CDA-9831 but it all should work. the funny thing is that the speakers work when i play radio stations... How can i fix this to where the speakers work when i play CDs?

are the speakers amped, or are they running off the HU?

Thats a pretty weird problem. dont have any solutions off the top of my head besides maybe a busted HU.

I will assume a 9831 has separate activation leads for amp(s) and power antenna, like most modern HUs.

What I don't know, as I am no Alpine aficianado, is whether the one for a power antenna only has current in tuner mode but not CD or aux. in...

Check to see if your power antenna output from the head unit is what is connected to the remote turn-on input on your speaker amp. If so, change it to the other one and it should cure your problem.

The odds of this being the actual problem are likely pretty slim but it's the first thing that occurred to me as to why something would work fine with the tuner but turn off in CD mode.

Hope this helps.

I will assume a 9831 has separate activation leads for amp(s) and power antenna, like most modern HUs.
What I don't know, as I am no Alpine aficianado, is whether the one for a power antenna only has current in tuner mode but not CD or aux. in...

Check to see if your power antenna output from the head unit is what is connected to the remote turn-on input on your speaker amp. If so, change it to the other one and it should cure your problem.

The odds of this being the actual problem are likely pretty slim but it's the first thing that occurred to me as to why something would work fine with the tuner but turn off in CD mode.

Hope this helps.
x2 that^^^wrong wire thats for the power antenna

If the Durango had the Infinity system installed then the problem is probably the on board amp. The wiring adaptors on the market do not activate the onboard amp, you need a seperate wire for it.

I know on the Dakota's with the Infinity system that there is an amp under the kick panel in the passenger side footwell. You'll need to run your remote wire (blue) down there to activate the amp (if I remeber right it is the black/green striped wire for the amp turn on). If you don't plan on using the amp then you will need to disconnect your speaker connections behind the HU and either run new wires from there to the speakers, run high level outputs to your new amp or run RCA's to your amp.

With the Alpine HU's you will probably find that you can get sound from the speakers using the radio but not from the CD player until you connect into the on board amp.

If the Durango had the Infinity system installed then the problem is probably the on board amp. The wiring adaptors on the market do not activate the onboard amp, you need a seperate wire for it.
Not true. The "power antenna" wire in the Chrysler harness will activate the factory amp. As others have said, he only needs to disconnect his head unit's blue wire and connect the blue/white wire in its place.

if the internal amp was turned off, i dont think you would hear the radio.

For some reason with an Alpine HU hooked up to the Infinity factory system, the radio will work without the factory amp being on. Don't ask me how or why but when I changed the system in my Dakota I had this exact problem.

All I did to rectify it was run the blue remote lead down to the amp in the passenger side kick panel and hey presto sound when a cd is playing.

If you use a standard wiring adaptor from your HU to the Dakota/Durango factory wiring then it misses the amplifier remote turn on. Easiest way is to run it separately, the comment about the RCA's was for an amp you were installing, not the factory one. I don't think the factory amp has RCA inputs, only high-level speaker inputs.

Behind your head unit, disconnect whatever your head unit's blue wire is connected to. Attach your head unit's blue/white wire to it instead. This is ALL you need to do.

But my Blue/white remote turn-on wire is conected to my after market hifonics amp, do i run both my factory and aftermarket amp to the blue/white remote turn-on in my deck? or should i run my aftermarket to the blue powera antenna?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeff06

10+ year member
Jeff06
Fort Worth TEXAS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from