WTF!!! Bronco Big 3

Participant count
  • Participant list

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Provo, UT
Ok, I'm trying to do the big 3 on my buddy's full-size 1992 Bronco 5.8L Windsor, but I am absolutely stumped. The alternator doesn't have a post and plug like I'm used to. It only has two plugs identical to the photo below. Any thoughts on how I can do the big 3? Where the (+) would go?

2z6v904.jpg

2z6v904.jpg
[/img]

Pull out a digital multimeter. Set it to DC 12v. If the two posts you test read a negative value, then you know your leads are backwards. Likewise if the two posts read a positive value then whatever post your red lead is on is indeed the positive.

No, no, no hahaha I know which plug is (+) and which is (-) my problem is they are plugs like wiring harness plugs, not posts. With the traditional post, you can simply slip an O-ring terminal on it and tighten it down with a nut. These, being plugs obviously can't do that. So how can I connect my huge (+) big 3 wire to a plug in the pictures? Can't put an O-ring terminal on a plug (scratching my head)

Before doing the big 3 on that bronco, swap that alt with one from a mid 90s Taurus IIRC. Known as the "3g swap". Just have to splice in the 3g alts harness and a plug and make a notch in the broncos alt bracket. Pretty easy to do and it makes a good difference when I did it on mine.

Search "bronco 3g swap" for all the info you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.