WTF? Brand New Brakes Are Squeaking

Primo
10+ year member

ibtl
I just got new pads and my rotors turned last week, and they are starting to squeak really loud whenever I come to a stop. I sprayed some of this de-squeak stuff on the rotors today but it didn't help. What the **** is the deal... Do they just need braking in?

Nope...it's the pads themselves, or they didn't coat the metal part of the pads...I would take them back to the place that installed them....unless you did them yourself.

In my experience (and from what my father, a mechanic, has told me), new pads will have a tendency to squeak. Get a few miles on them and it should go away.

That's my opinion atleast. Brakes aren't my forte, however.

yeah they will squek for a little while and then you won't hear it anymore. If it's still squeking in two weeks then I would recomend just changing them then. But brand new ones usually always tend to squek.

the important thing to remember though, is squeak does NOT mean they're worn. i hate it when my friends keep saying "their brakes are gone" whenever they squeak. i always look at their calipers and they still have like 4~5 mm of pad left lol.

i'm running non oem semi metallics on the rear and they squeak, my OEM fronts do not though...

Ceramic pads have a tendency to squeak. I put some on my gf truck and they squeaked for a while but I havent heard them for a while. My semi metalic pads on my car never squeak unless the rotor is dirty and its cleaning it off

Ceramic pads have a tendency to squeak. I put some on my gf truck and they squeaked for a while but I havent heard them for a while. My semi metalic pads on my car never squeak unless the rotor is dirty and its cleaning it off
All of my experinece working the parts business suggests that your entire statement is wrong, but it is really all about installation.

All of my experinece working the parts business suggests that your entire statement is wrong, but it is really all about installation.
what parts business do you work for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you need to "burn" them in. Find a nice parking lot, get to about 70~80 and hit the brakes hard, but not hard enough to have ABS kick in. Keep doing it until you can smell what I can only describe as the pads themselves on fire. After that you should be fine.

Really based on what? It says in the instructions on how to seat the pads properly that they will squeak more do to a harder compound. Installation of brake pads is a easy thing more info. Always follow the manufactures suggestions when seating pads certain pads dont recommend you seating them by really hard stops and with others it is fine. The ceramic ones didnt want you to do really hard stops for around 1000 miles

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.