Would this style box work for 2 10"s???

Participant count
  • Participant list

oxsign
5,000+ posts

No Affiliation
Orlando, FL
The idea is to have 2 10"s down firing with 2 4" aero ports firing up. The box is 3-3.2cubes tuned to 32-34Hz. It'll be a center console style box (ya I know, another one). The last on didn't quite work out due to lack of space for the sub. So I'm gonna try 2 10"s instead. Is it better to have the baffle/face straight rather than angled? Also, the bottom will have a 3/4" MDF for the subs to fire into. As appose to the carpet/truck floor. Any input would be great, thx.

box.png

Only things I've noticed is a downfiring box tends to have less definition and punch.....more like theater omni-direction bass. Seems to rattle the vehicle more if its in direct contact with the floor, more transfer to the cabin.

the only problem you might have is that the bottom of the box (where the woofers mount) might act like a bandpass box. depending on the woofers you use you might end up damaging them with the front pressure. i would make that panel straight and make the sides of the box longer to elevate the woofers off of the floor and make them parallel with the floor. then leave both ends of the box open. I have built a ton of center console boxes with down firing woofers but i would be weary about that front chamber. and depending on the woofer specs make sure that box is the proper volume. I also prefer to separate each woofer but thats just me. but if you are using a single channel mono amp you will be fine.

The subs are going to be custom built subs (either psi or ssacket) using 2 RD alpha max motors. So you would make the panel flat/level with the bottom? Would 3" of space be ok? Solid sides with the ends open was my thought.

3 inches should be just fine as long as those custom woofers dont have some crazy surrounds and excursion. BTW im not a huge fan of ported boxes for everyday use. If you build a sealed box you can push more power into the woofers and they will perform better with a wider variety of music. Tuning the port to 35 or 40 htz will sound good at 35-40 htz and will not perform as well at other frequencies where a sealed box will bang with a wider range of frequencies. Just food for thought! happy bumpin

Tuning the port to 35 or 40 htz will sound good at 35-40 htz and will not perform as well at other frequencies where a sealed box will bang with a wider range of frequencies. Just food for thought! happy bumpin
The only point(within the usual ~25-80hz operating range that we use subs for) where a sealed sub will "out-bump" a ported box is below tuning on a high tuned box, like 40hz. I can see a sealed setup possibly being louder at 30hz than the 40hz tuned ported box. Everything is so driver/box dependent, but I can see it possibly happening. This is why you tune low. 30hz is great in most cases, will catch pretty much anything that will be in music, and will have a good deal more output across the entire frequency range, and considerably louder below 50hz than the sealed setup.

The only point(within the usual ~25-80hz operating range that we use subs for) where a sealed sub will "out-bump" a ported box is below tuning on a high tuned box, like 40hz. I can see a sealed setup possibly being louder at 30hz than the 40hz tuned ported box. Everything is so driver/box dependent, but I can see it possibly happening. This is why you tune low. 30hz is great in most cases, will catch pretty much anything that will be in music, and will have a good deal more output across the entire frequency range, and considerably louder below 50hz than the sealed setup.
well said!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.