would 4 ga. wire be enough for me?

hiloracerboy84
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i think i wanna run the jbl bp 1200.1 with 2 infinity perfect 12's(2 ohm->1200rms), and was wondering what type of wire i should use....would 4 ga be enough, or should i go with bigger(0/1ga.)...and what type of fuse should i use?...if i should use anything different...what should i get?...i.e.->0/1 ga. ground/power, 4 ga. spkr...etc...and do you think my alternator on a 2000 4runner could keep up with the amount of power this amp needs...even if i use a 1 farad cap?...

thanks...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

4 ga. wire should be very efficient for that application. And you will be wiring your amp to your battery so the alternator will not play abig roll as far as your amp goes. It will just be there to keep your electrical system going while your battery is doing the audio work!!! ;-) And i would go with at least an in-line 50 amp fuse wired no more than 10 inches from your connection to the battery

WHAT ARE U SMOKIN UP THERE LOL ALTERNATOR DONT PLAY A ROLE? WELL HATE TO TELL YA THIS PAL BUT IF UR ALTERNATOR ***** UR AMP WILL NOT GET THE POWER IT NEEDS, WITH A POWERFUL AMP LIKE THAT I WOULD REWIND THE ALERNATOR FOR HIGHER OUT PUT,AND ALSO WHY WOULD U WANA PUTA 50AMP FUSE IN? PUT A 100AMP ANL FUSE IN

use 4 gauge power wire bc the jbl amp has direct connect for up to 4 gauge and use a 90A fuse bc the jbl has 3 40's on it but it will not draw near that much bc it is a class d and is pretty efficient, and your stock alt will be fine for that amp and a 1 farad cap will just make it better oh yeah for speaker wire use at least 12 gauge and the jbl can handle up to 8 gauge in the direct connects

use 4 gauge power wire bc the jbl amp has direct connect for up to 4 gauge and use a 90A fuse bc the jbl has 3 40's on it but it will not draw near that much bc it is a class d and is pretty efficient, and your stock alt will be fine for that amp and a 1 farad cap will just make it better oh yeah for speaker wire use at least 12 gauge and the jbl can handle up to 8 gauge in the direct connects
this

I swear the idiot population on this site has gone up 2000% since the server change

Anyway, 4 gauge should be sufficient but you decide to add a second amp for your speakers or get a bigger sub amp I would just go straight to 0 gauge. As for the fuse if you buy a GOOD 4 gauge it will come with a 100 amp fuse and that will be plenty. For speaker wire use 12 gauge you won't need any bigger for those subs hell, you'd probably be fine with smaller. Ditch the cap, its not needed and won't help with what you think it will. If you have dimming issues just add a smaller 2nd battery. And the stock Alt will probably be fine but NEVER have your alternator rewound. It most likely not be as reliable, if you need to upgrade your alt look into Hight Output alternators from Mechman, DC Power, or Ohio power all great companies

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.