Worth it to upgrade my subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Baconbitz121

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,

I currently have an Audiopipe TXX-BDC4 15, which is paired to a Sundown SIA-1750 @4 ohms. It's in a 3 Cu. Ft. box tuned to 35Hz (from what I heard this sub destroys lows, so I kinda wish I tuned it a lil lower... But that's besides the point lol)

While just browsing, I came across the Sundown SA-V2 15. According to Sundown, the box specs match up almost perfectly to what I have. How much of an "upgrade" would it actually be? I say "upgrade" because my Audiopipe has greater power handling and a larger voice coil, but it's still on the "budget tier" of subwoofers. Especially compared to the Sundown which is more expensive and a higher quality brand (at least in my mind). Would I notice any difference for the better? I don't have an issue with the way my current setup sounds, so I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. More SQ is always nice to have, but I'm just curious what y'all think.

If you want more SQ then I would look at Stereo Integrity subwoofers. Also take a look at the Fi subwoofers in the 15" range as well. Along with there is a 15" SSA for sale here NIB if I recall correctly. That Sundown SIA-1750 is 1 ohm capable so I would look for a subwoofer at D2 so you can wire to 1 ohm and that should also help with some more power as well.

Also the SA series if I am not mistaken has upgraded to the V3 series now also. May want to check into those. Pay attention to the RMS not the peak on anything.

If you want more SQ then I would look at Stereo Integrity subwoofers. Also take a look at the Fi subwoofers in the 15" range as well. Along with there is a 15" SSA for sale here NIB if I recall correctly. That Sundown SIA-1750 is 1 ohm capable so I would look for a subwoofer at D2 so you can wire to 1 ohm and that should also help with some more power as well.

Also the SA series if I am not mistaken has upgraded to the V3 series now also. May want to check into those. Pay attention to the RMS not the peak on anything.
I was looking at the stereo integrity subwoofers, specifically the SQL. It really seems like a bargain deal. While I have no doubt it's a better sounding sub (and among the best out there), the box specs are so much different than what I currently have. The box I have barley fits in my car and a lot of these SQ subs need massive boxes in order to tune them super low. The reason I was looking at the SA-V2 is that I already have the box built to spec.
From what I saw, they only have a 10 inch version of the SA-V3 listed on their website. I'm going to continue running at 4ohms, any more power and I'll have to upgrade my electrical.

I would wire to 1 ohm if I could. If your electrical has problems with the increased power, you can always just lower the gain on the amplifier to closer to the wattage that you have now.

I would wire to 1 ohm if I could. If your electrical has problems with the increased power, you can always just lower the gain on the amplifier to closer to the wattage that you have now.

What's the difference between the same power at 1 ohm and 4 ohms? My amp is 1250w at 4 ohms. I like the higher efficiency that comes with the higher resistance. It just gives me peace of mind since my electrical is still stock.

2 ohms on my first system is the lowest I've ever run. I wasn't pushing a lot of power then, so idk how to compare it.

The point I was making is that you don’t have to run the amplifier at full tilt if you don’t have the electrical for it. You can set the gain to the threshold of what your car can produce.

The point I was making is that you don’t have to run the amplifier at full tilt if you don’t have the electrical for it. You can set the gain to the threshold of what your car can produce.
Ah ok, I gotcha. I think I'm actually on the verge of what I can handle. I haven't noticed any dimming or anything, but I have the gain set somewhat conservatively (about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way)

I have one of those cigarette lighter voltmeters, but idk how accurate it is. What do you think is a good range to be in?

If you like the sub you have, then continue to run it. I would look at what improvements that could be made to do some deadening and maybe port the subs into the cabin space.That shouldnt take a whole lot to seal off the trunk space and make a port or two from the trunk into the rear deck space. PVC works just fine as well as using 1/4" or even 1/2" ply and some speaker carpet to match interior decking? for as much as youd spend on the Sa, there are other choices out there for the money. Such as the American Bass XFL,A.Bass Hawk,A.Bass Elite, CT Sounds Strato and Meso series, and others, SoundQubeds HDS 3.215 is a Nice choice for the money, DC Audio Level 3 is a great all around sub that Ive experienced.in the 12" version, Cresendo Forte series sound amazing,. On a budget side I would take a look at the NVX VCW 15 for the money? specs look great. Im looking at a pair of 12s in this series when they come back in stock @ Sonic Electronix . There are lots of choices these days for the money. I would do more searching. But if you like the sub, look into doing some cabin upgrades to get more of the sub sound waves into the cabin area, and look at maybe deadening the trunk more? Nice sub to look at for the $ >An example of a nice SQ sub below. Run what you have man. Enjoy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...