Wood staining question

Participant count
  • Participant list

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Building a box for a single 12 from birch. The guy wants a blue wood stain, which I do have, but it is so blue that I don’t like the way it hides the natural grains and knots. I have very little of this blue stain left, and it’s out of stock, so I want to make sure I don’t ruin what I have. If I start diluting this stain down with mineral spirits, will it bring some of this “in your face” blue down a notch? I want a far more subtle blue, but stains can dry blotchy if you compromise it too much. Anyone have any tricks they use to change the color or hue of wood stains?

Only thing I’ve ever done is mix different stains together. For the blotchiness, I like to use a pre stain on the wood. I find that it really helps. Which blue stain are you using?

Only thing I’ve ever done is mix different stains together. For the blotchiness, I like to use a pre stain on the wood. I find that it really helps. Which blue stain are you using?
It’s the minwax stain from Home Depot. I bought it years ago. I tried mixing some light brown stain with it, but it changes the color.

I would go for the thinning and if it happens to be lighter than expected, do more coats. I’m sure the stain can be had somewhere else in case you run out?

I would go for the thinning and if it happens to be lighter than expected, do more coats. I’m sure the stain can be had somewhere else in case you run out?
Probably. Home Depot and Lowe’s near me is out of stock. I always try to avoid driving all the way to the city, but there are multiple Home Depot’s. I could probably find it.

If its blue and Minwax and came from Home Depot then its prob a water based because they did not sell a tintable Minwax oil based stain due to using generic Behr water based pigments and those pigments are only water and alkyd base compatible.

Water based paints and stains cannot be thinned with mineral spirits. If you are unsure of the type you have, read the clean up instructions- it will be either soap and water or a solvent.

Within the last few years the Minwax contract expired with HD and they didnt renew it, instead making a contract with Varathane aka Rustoleum. The Varathane premium fast dry is actually pretty nice and is an oil based stain so it can be thinned with mineral spirits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...