Wondering what my next setup should be..

Participant count
  • Participant list

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
Just sold my sub today (AQ HDC3 18), upgrading my electrical with the money.

Buying a pretty nice battery. Doing the big 3 etc. Have about 2k to run to whatever subs I decide to get.

The only issue is that i'm very limited with space considering I have a Jetta. The most I have fit is 6.5 cubes and that took up the whole trunk, and felt like a lot of my sound got canceled out into the trunk.

I really want to run a single 18 xcon (not sure how that will work with space requirements etc.), but debating on getting 2 12's of another brand..

My goals are mainly to get the most out of my 2k and cover the lower frequencies pretty well. Not too focused on numbers obviously, just looking to get a pretty loud daily driver setup.

I just need some direction and figured I could use some recommendations.

Any questions you may need to ask to help me are accepted, thanks in advance.

Seal off the trunk and fire into the cabin- its the only way to get loud in a trunk car. If you can squeeze an 18 in there, you could just use the whole trunk as the box and just install a thick baffle and port then make sure the rest of the trunk is sealed off. I saw a passat do upper 140s with a 2 15 setup like this.

single 15 or 2 12's is your best bet. I'd fire to the rear if lows are a concern as normally front firing/sealed off will raise your peak some. I run a single HDC 18 like that in my Altima.

Seal off the trunk and fire into the cabin- its the only way to get loud in a trunk car. If you can squeeze an 18 in there, you could just use the whole trunk as the box and just install a thick baffle and port then make sure the rest of the trunk is sealed off. I saw a passat do upper 140s with a 2 15 setup like this.
Any pictures or examples of what you mean by all of this? like I get the general idea, but just would like to visualize it. That sounds like a pretty good plan actually. Can't really have the subs facing towards the cabin though, unless I were to get some 12's. there is barely any room when it comes to height in my cars trunk.

4 heavy tens might sound pretty good too?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Any pictures or examples of what you mean by all of this? like I get the general idea, but just would like to visualize it. That sounds like a pretty good plan actually. Can't really have the subs facing towards the cabin though, unless I were to get some 12's. there is barely any room when it comes to height in my cars trunk.
best example I can find is this, but I think its an IB setup or a big sealed variation. The design I'm talking about looks like an infinite baffle setup, but when you close the trunk, it creates an enclosure. The ports normally go into the trunk and are really big. The whole baffle surface was used up between the woofers and the port.

8fcfcr6.jpg

You could add the port to wherever on the baffle you'd like.

You could also do a clamshell with 4-6 10s or 4 12s firing into the cabin, sealed from the rest of the trunk. I'm still thinking of doing this, but I'm not sure how to calculate clamshells.

That seems like a great idea. I would need to do some research on it though. This seems a lot more advanced than just building a slot ported box lol.

Thanks for the idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.