Wiring SPDT On-Off-On with Relays

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bdowdy07

CarAudio.com Newbie
This is probably a very simple task but I cannot seem to figure it out. I built a radio cooler that has a SPDT On-Off-On switch and would like to achieve the following.

Switch position one - Radio only

Switch position two - Radio, Usb charger and led lights

Switch off - No current draw

What would be the best relays and configuration to achieve this?

You can wire the Radio through one switch leg and the Radio, USB, and LED through the other switch leg.  A On-Off-On switch has a center common for the hot conductor.  Then you'll have the Radio power to both positions one and two.  USB and LED will only be wired to position two. 

You could also use relays.  You can dedicate one relay to Radio with a second relay powering Radio, USB, and LED.  In that configuration the On-Off-On switch would power the relay coils.  This allows you to use a smaller toggle switch since it won't see the current of the load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.