Wiring in a Digital Volt Meter

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
I've got this digital volt meter arriving tomorrow and I'd like to know how to safely hook it up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UWD2J4

LCD Digital Volt Voltage Panel Meter Voltmeter 7.5V-20V

I plan to install in into the dash with a toggle switch (in case it annoys me at night) and run the wires to the trunk so I can monitor the voltage at the amplifer(s) (I've got one for my subs, but I'm in the process of setting another up for my front stage).

Three questions:

How should I hook it up?

Maybe power on the meter to power or remote turn on on my sub amp? Neutral on the meter to the amp ground?

What gauge cable should I use?

I don't fully comprehend how this works, but I'm assuming it has a high resistance, that's why it comes with thin, flimsy cables, so whatever I run doesn't have to be too beefy?

What size inline fuse should I use?

Fuses. Fuses everywhere.

Thanks.

i just did this about a month ago with two volt meters. i ran speaker wire (any gauge) from my amps positives than those positive ends went on the top pin of toggle switch and the bottom pins went to positive on volt meters. i ran one aftermarket ground from under my dash and spliced that run to both of the volt meters grounds.

I've got this digital volt meter arriving tomorrow and I'd like to know how to safely hook it up:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UWD2J4

LCD Digital Volt Voltage Panel Meter Voltmeter 7.5V-20V

I plan to install in into the dash with a toggle switch (in case it annoys me at night) and run the wires to the trunk so I can monitor the voltage at the amplifer(s) (I've got one for my subs, but I'm in the process of setting another up for my front stage).

Three questions:

How should I hook it up?

Maybe power on the meter to power or remote turn on on my sub amp? Neutral on the meter to the amp ground?

I don't fully comprehend how this works, but I'm assuming it has a high resistance, that's why it comes with thin, flimsy cables, so whatever I run doesn't have to be too beefy?

What size inline fuse should I use?

Fuses. Fuses everywhere.

Thanks.

i honestly didn't fuse mine and know Very few people who do

Yeah, I have no idea how to fuse it. Someone on Amazon said it has a 17mA draw @ 14v. If I do fuse it I'll just use the smallest fuse I can find.

If you can use speaker wire then I guess the gauge doesn't matter too much. I have some spare telephone wire. If I don't have enough of that I'll get a piece of 10ga wire so I can stop thinking about it.

Thanks for the response, and for reminding me that I don't have to run the neutral all the way back; I can ground it elsewhere.

Yeah, I have no idea how to fuse it. Someone on Amazon said it has a 17mA draw @ 14v. If I do fuse it I'll just use the smallest fuse I can find.
If you can use speaker wire then I guess the gauge doesn't matter too much. I have some spare telephone wire. If I don't have enough of that I'll get a piece of 10ga wire so I can stop thinking about it.

Thanks for the response, and for reminding me that I don't have to run the neutral all the way back; I can ground it elsewhere.
10ga? For a volt meter that draws almost no current. Crazy. 14 awg at the most imo (16 or 18 would be fine too). I mean look at the leads on it, if it really needed thick cable would the wires be like 26 awg?

If you can use speaker wire then I guess the gauge doesn't matter too much. I have some spare telephone wire. If I don't have enough of that I'll get a piece of 10ga wire so I can stop thinking about it. .
the gauge does not matter. its not pushing high voltage like the amps power wire. it is simply to monitor voltage to ensure your system is running clean

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.