Wiring harness for my old truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

Burner50

I have a spare head unit laying around, and decided that I would prefer it to the cassette deck in my 1998 Ford F-150 XLT.

Only, none of the wiring harnesses I can find will fit. I am searching for an appropriate wiring harness.

I went to Best Buy and had them scratching their heads.

Crutchfield insists that it is this one: Receiver Wire Harness For select 1986-06 vehicles at Crutchfield.com

But this is the connector in the back of the factory stereo:

View attachment 26546966

Any ideas?

You must need the amplifier integration harness, if you aren't going to wire the speakers directly to the new radio. However, there must be another plug, a flat one with one row of pins, because the red plug doesn't have all the signals the head unit needs to operate. Metra Part # 70-5603 | Ford wire harness | Metra Online

There is only this plug, and the antenna. Those are literally the only two plugs on the back.

Hence the reason I'm scratching my head.

Well, I asked a professional.

I went to Car Toys is Fort Worth, TX. Within 2 minutes, they had explained to me why I was confused.

Apparently, my "factory" radio, isn't factory at all... It is a Ford radio alright, but not the one that came with my truck originally. One of their techs knew what he was looking for. He reached in the dash and unclipped a couple of things. Low and behold what I was looking at was actually an additional wiring harness, made by Ford.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.