Wiring Gauge Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

joshs9

Canada
So I have a hifonics 2400.1 running at 2 ohms, 1600 watts. Unfortunately I only installed 4 gauge wire to feed the amp. I've got an 03 impala with the amp in the trunk and the battery at the front, so it's a pretty long run of wire. My question is this-

Will I gain any noticeable output by either running a second lineof wire, or by replacing it with a thicker gauge?

The wire has never gotten hot enough to blow the fuse that came with the kit, even with pounding it for over an hour, so I think it's fairly safe.

thanks

The smaller/longer the wire is you lose capacity.

Even if you set your gain to full/high you will not get full power and will clip.

By upgrading to bigger you lose the need to pull more causing resistance, which in turn helps the wire "breathe" allowing the amp to run to its maximal possible clean power.

You will still clip, but jist set your gains correctly.

Also upgrading wire will not help if your alternator/battery(s) lack the power needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'd upgrade to zero gauge..

Better for your amp to have larger wire.

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on subs and amps, then skimp on electrical???

Currently ~100A fuse?

I would be surprised if you HEAR any improvement with an upgrade to 1/0. On a mic you'd probably see a few tenths of a dB.

But it would be the right thing to do.

Plus, when you start itching to switch subs to go to 1 ohm for a few hundred more watts you won't have to worry about inadequate wiring.

I'd upgrade to zero gauge..Better for your amp to have larger wire.

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on subs and amps, then skimp on electrical???
^^^ this.

Load your amp and wire parameters into this simulator -> http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/voltdropthroughsystem.swf

At full power you would have 1.2v of loss in 4 AWG wire. That's over 100 W RMS lost to wire heating & voltage drop. That amp will accept up to 1/0 power/ground wire - I would use that at a minimum. Zero gauge would be perfect.

Thanks for all the answer guys.

to N2audio-

Just a side question, If i decided to switch to the dual 4 ohm Type R's per say, would the few hundred watts extra for the subs improve SQ at all? with only 50% more power, im not sure the DB gain would be worth it (time and money wise), but if there was a SQ gain from giving the woofers the power they want I may be able to justify it to myself.

that's pretty hard to predict.

Power is the biggest factor IMO so I'd like to think you'd like what you hear, but Damping would drop as well. Still PROBABLY high enough to be an insignificant factor, but you never know.

I think where you might find the most improvement is near (but not AT) full volume where you'd have that extra bit of power to pick up the dynamics a little better.

I've been running the same lowish cost set up for 5+ yrs so my opinion on minor tweaks probably isn't that relevant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.