wiring dual alternators?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lil Poot
5,000+ posts

you sturrin at me brah?
Wichita KS
i'm starting to get tired of popping diodes in my alternator and riding around with low voltage all the time, so i'm planning to do a custom bracket and run my stock 140a ford explorer alternator along with my 240a iraggi.

i've never seen up close pictures of the wiring setups with dual alts. are they run in series with each other, or each need their own independent connection to the batteries? is the molex plug required on both, and if so how is that done, just manually splitting wires to create 2 plugs?

bump for teh answers.

are there any problems people run into running dual alts, or any reason why its not more widespread? i need more charging power, it's either going to be dual alts or paying dom to upgrade my 240a to 300-350a which probably wont be cheap.

u would most likely run ur stock to the car and the h.o to the independntly to ur system so basicly stock then make a bracket mount the h.o to the bracket and use a relay to give off current to the other alternator to make it work so cut into the orinal sig to the stock and relay to it then bam ur done

u would most likely run ur stock to the car and the h.o to the independntly to ur system so basicly stock then make a bracket mount the h.o to the bracket and use a relay to give off current to the other alternator to make it work so cut into the orinal sig to the stock and relay to it then bam ur done
file_269.jpg

i'm not looking to run any higher voltage to my amps, i want to try and keep things as simple as possible. wanting to just use my stock alt along with the 240a iraggi. sounding like this is gonna be a major pain in the ass to get up and running so maybe i'll just go with having him upgrade the alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.