Wiring 3 4 ohm subwoofers to a 2 ohm amp - thoughts?

cybertron131

Florida
TL;DR version on bottom

I know the total impedance will be somewhere around 1.3, and not 2. I know 2 ohms is what the amp supports.

The amplifier I have is a Kicker CXA1800.1 with 3 Orion Cobalt CO124S subwoofers.

The box I'll be using is Q Power HD12

(New Q Power HD12 12" Sealed Triple Car Audio Subwoofer Sub Box Enclosure | eBay)

Now let my acknowledge the problems that I am already aware of so they don't get repeated in the thread:

- Yes, I know the amp will probably have issues running at this ohm load.

- Yes, I know the cubic feet or air inside the enclosure is not a optimal match for what these subs are specified for. These are mistakes that I've made without research and it's too late to correct them since I've already spent the $$$.

- Yes, I know I probably could have gotten higher RMS subs for the money I got the Orion for, but I wanted to give Orion a chance and see if they could prove their "legacy" even if the options are low-end. Also I like the appearance of their woofers.

- Yes, I know the amp is way too powerful for these subs. They will probably get smoked ASSUMING MY IDEA EVEN WORKS.

Here is my idea:

So the main problem seems to be that running at lower than 2 ohms will make the amp over heat. Why not just apply a aftermarket cooling solution?

^

Why not run one pair in a series, with one woofer in parallel.. you'll probably be at 3ohms then and save the amp.. also I don't know the specs on the box or subs, but if the box size is too small, try a bunch of polyfill. Won't be perfect but better than nothing.

Wouldn't that make 1 of them louder than the other 2? Also polyfill sounds like a good idea.

The space in the box was 1.2 cubic meters while the sub only wants 1 i think

Not that I know of.. also if the box is bigger than spec. Don't use polyfill. You'll be fine with a 1.2 box, but you could always add some wood inside the enclosure to take up airspace and lower the net volume.

gDvhYk
Like this? https://ibb.co/gDvhYk

Wouldn't that make 1 of them louder than the other 2? Also polyfill sounds like a good idea.The space in the box was 1.2 cubic meters while the sub only wants 1 i think
1 would see different power than the other 2. I wouldn't suggest it. If you absolutely can't change equipment I would stick with 1.33 ohms and be very conservative with the gain and volume. Assume you're gambling with your equipment especially if you're electrical isn't up to par.

You can try the polyfill, and see if it helps. If it sounds worse you can always take it out.

I personally would run 2 at 8 ohms until you can switch some equipment around and beef your electrical.

I can bottom out one sub with the gain not even a quarter high. Hopefully the amp will just go into protect mode if it overheats. Wouldn't you think so too?

My Sony receiver takes on really wonky ohm loads and the only negative effect is that it gets hot. I just put a fan up against it and never has problems, and a receiver technically has a amp in it.

That sony "amp" has been kicking it for 2 decades

I can bottom out one sub with the gain not even a quarter high. Hopefully the amp will just go into protect mode if it overheats. Wouldn't you think so too?My Sony receiver takes on really wonky ohm loads and the only negative effect is that it gets hot. I just put a fan up against it and never has problems, and a receiver technically has a amp in it.

That sony "amp" has been kicking it for 2 decades
Hopefully, but if it doesn't. *shrug*

It's one thing to run below rated impedance. It's another thing to run below impedance with a bad electrical system. If you're talking about a car receiver, a car receiver doesn't produce much power so it won't strain your system if you run it a bit below rated impedance. If you're talking about a home receiver you have a pretty robust electrical grid providing it constant voltage; a car is a completely different animal. 120V AC vs 12V DC isn't apples to apples. It's just not a good idea to hedge your bets on protect mode with 1500+ watts on a potentially bad electrical system.

As long as you know you are gambling with your equipment and are fine with the chance of blowing something then you might can squeak by with your current plans, but I would highly suggest being extremely conservative with both the gain and the volume knob if you are dead set on using what you have at 1.333 ohms.

I'll assemble the whole system and sell it on Craigslist for $260 or something around there, then buy 2 12s again.

Ones that don't ****. Any personal recommendations for a sub that is $130?

... not selling the amp tho

I'll assemble the whole system and sell it on Craigslist for $260 or something around there, then buy 2 12s again.Ones that don't ****. Any personal recommendations for a sub that is $130?

... not selling the amp tho
That amp should be solid. How much space do you have to spare? ~3 cubes? I likely won't be much help for current sub offerings since I lean towards either old school subs or custom one offs.

If I was in the market at that price range though I would seriously consider the sundown e3 12 (B stock $95 or new for $140) or the Fi Alpha 12 ($149, but made in usa by a solid company) and find some way to get the extra cash to jump to some really decent quality products.

3 cubes would be on the small side to get 2 12"s in a ported box though. Hopefully some other people can chime in.

I'm interested in a sealed enclosure because some music I listen to is atmospheric (drake) and I've heard ported can sound sloppy if not calculated absolutely perfect

*edit* Actually at that price range I might as well slam some 15's or even 18's

*edit again* Ok I'm settled on 2 15's. Going to buy a box then $190 for the one of the subwoofers. It's time for myself to be assertive and face reality. I'm too impatient.

I've always wanted REAL bass my whole life. I'm tired of skimping out.

I'll never truly be happy until I get what I subconsciously want

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.