Wiring 2-way components with active crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

equalme

Been out of car audio for almost a decade and forgot a lot. I should've done a bit more research on the subject before order all the parts but this is what I have coming in.

-Focal 6.5" 2-way PS165V

-JL XD500/3V2

-JL 10TW3-D4

This is going into a Toyota FJ Cruiser. In the past I've only used full-range speakers so this is a first for components and especially active crossover.

I've done my searching but still couldn't find any great guides on wiring active crossover. From what I've read, I will ditch the passive crossover that comes with the Focal and wire them directly into the amplifier? Is it possible to wire from the amplifier > passive crossover > speakers? Thus I won't have to mess with the tuning but at least the crossover is amplified? I've read that tuning the time alignment and etc. is another headache.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there is a decent sticky thread on here, but in short.. Active crossover uses the amp/headunit settings to set a parameter for an individual speaker to play (mid or tweet). each speaker needs its own channel and you gotta be precise in what frequency crossover you set them at to not damage them. And yes you can go from amp to passive crossover to speakers, thats actually the only way to do it haha

You can't go active with a 3 channel.
Thanks! I may have my terms incorrect then.

I'm pretty sure there is a decent sticky thread on here, but in short.. Active crossover uses the amp/headunit settings to set a parameter for an individual speaker to play (mid or tweet). each speaker needs its own channel and you gotta be precise in what frequency crossover you set them at to not damage them. And yes you can go from amp to passive crossover to speakers, thats actually the only way to do it haha
So then it will be: HU > Amplifier > component crossover > speakers? I'm assuming the benefit is connecting the component system to the amplifier is to make up for the powerloss that the component crossover takes?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.