wire size and install kits

dcyphure
10+ year member

would 12 or 14 guage wire for components really be any better than 18guage? say 100-150 watts?

do cheap amp kits like Pyle/Boss...etc just as good SQ wise or are the brand ones like Kicker..etc really make a noticeable difference. I'll be using it on a JLAudio 4 ch slash amp and a MTX Elite 1000 watt amp. i guess 4 guage enough?

trying to go for sound quality, but whatever components i end up getting likely wont be more than $200, so i wanted to optimize my hardware with the right amp kit assuming it matters

To put simply, yes to everything... I would recomend 16 guage to the front if your going to be pumping 100 watts to them, 4 guage should be fine for your run, make sure you use good shielded rca's if your going for SQ, and defently getting the better components are going to make a difference, if you dont want to spend more than 200 i kinda like the entry level polk components

ok. So should i buy all my wires seperately or as a kit? looks to me the RCA's that come with all of the kits are fairly thin. most say twisted wire RCA. Monster makes some thick shielded cables but they look rediculously overpriced imo. Any suggestions?

*edit: what do you think about this kit? Power Acoustik AKIT-2G

Personally I would suggest buying a power kit that just has your power w/fuse and ground and a remote then getting RCA's separately. And yes Monster has some REALLY nice stuff but its overkill, try stinger for something not to expensive, check out the online shops that are posted on this site.

i would suggest for most systems the following:

4 gauge wire from batt-amp...same to ground(only 2 feet)

12-16 gauge speaker wire(better safe than sorry)

16' RCA cable

you should be good to go

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.