Will this work for now?

Participant count
  • Participant list

IndySlim

CoolAssDude
Omaha NE
So I installed my system and began to see dimming lights a few weeks later so I'm doing a Big 3 with a Xs power D3400 I'm running 1 jl slash 500/1 on 2 kicker comp 12's .This a very temporary setup because I am waiting on the box for my 12" comp Q's (the round ones) I have another jl 500 to put on each sub individually and a alpine R-A60F 4 ch. for my interiors. I didnt think this setup would draw to much power to mess with my electrical but it definitely is, not to mention my cars also fully loaded with alot of electrical components. Does anyone think this battery and big 3 will supplement what I need for the time being? I know for a fact that this setup will change in a month or so and, that I may ultimately need to upgrade my alternator. Can anyone point me in the direction of one for a reasonable price or maybe an upgrade rebuild kit that will allow me to rebuild my current alternator? Also will this battery be able to support the future set up i mentioned? I'm not really a fan of the battery in the trunk thats why I'm trying to go will the alternator rebuild kit. l drive a 1999 oldsmobile eighty-eight "anniversary edition"

If I recall... from working at 3 of the major auto parts stores over the years for several years... the 88 has the 3.8L V6 with a 140a alternator. Buick uses a lot of electronics but not the total output of the alternator at all times. That car should be able to support a decent system without issues. If you are getting dimming lights start from the least expensive thing (free) and work your way up. #1 CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!! then make sure your cables are of adequate size for your system load. Make sure your cables are TIGHT at the battery. Make sure your subs are wired for the correct ohms load. Make sure your gains are correctly set.

In my Jeep, I have a 125a Alternator and my voltage dropped horribly. It was a bad ground. A 700w class A/B 4chnl amp and a 1200w Class D sub amp and stock group 34 battery up front with 0awg front to back and 4awg to each amp. No more issues after fixing the ground. Just check the easy and free stuff first.

If I recall... from working at 3 of the major auto parts stores over the years for several years... the 88 has the 3.8L V6 with a 140a alternator. Buick uses a lot of electronics but not the total output of the alternator at all times. That car should be able to support a decent system without issues. If you are getting dimming lights start from the least expensive thing (free) and work your way up. #1 CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!! then make sure your cables are of adequate size for your system load. Make sure your cables are TIGHT at the battery. Make sure your subs are wired for the correct ohms load. Make sure your gains are correctly set.

In my Jeep, I have a 125a Alternator and my voltage dropped horribly. It was a bad ground. A 700w class A/B 4chnl amp and a 1200w Class D sub amp and stock group 34 battery up front with 0awg front to back and 4awg to each amp. No more issues after fixing the ground. Just check the easy and free stuff first.
Ok will do. I was wondering if that were an issue because up front my battery's grounded to the block and the body. The actual battery cable is connected the block and theres a smaller like 4 or 8 gauge wire coming off of the battery to the metal fender on the body. I checked those and that small wire was super hot. I dont see a battery cable available with a bigger body ground wire online or stores. Do you think the big three with the 2 extra grounds that get added will remedy this

Ok will do. I was wondering if that were an issue because up front my battery's grounded to the block and the body. The actual battery cable is connected the block and theres a smaller like 4 or 8 gauge wire coming off of the battery to the metal fender on the body. I checked those and that small wire was super hot. I dont see a battery cable available with a bigger body ground wire online or stores. Do you think the big three with the 2 extra grounds that get added will remedy this
Yes, yes, and yes. Heat is resistance. If that wire is "hot" that IS one of the issues. make that baby huge (big 3 or big 4). The one to the body is small, if your amps are grounded to the body the circuit is trying to return to the battery through that small cable. Two 0awg from the negative, 1 to the block or Alternator bracket, 1 to the fender. One from the block to the body or frame as well. Battery positive to the Alternator power output post. That should stop the dimming lights easily.

These terminals are cheap. They are Marine Grade terminals (Zinc). Someone on this forum told me to use them and bye bye ground issues. They can be had at auto parts stores or Walmart.

Attachments

• 20190818_155007_HDR.jpg
    20190818_155007_HDR.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 261
These terminals are cheap. They are Marine Grade terminals (Zinc). Someone on this forum told me to use them and bye bye ground issues. They can be had at auto parts stores or Walmart.
ThxOne you are a life saver. Thanks for your input. I had read that the big 3 really should be a big 4 but I didn't understand the post as well as when you explained it and from the knowledge I have gained about electricity this is definitely one of my issues because my amp is grounded to the body and 0 gauge wire returning through 4 or 8 gauge is going cause issues. Thanks for the info about the terminals. Cause I was about ready to spend 30 bucks on special ones from knukonceptz.

ThxOne you are a life saver. Thanks for your input. I had read that the big 3 really should be a big 4 but I didn't understand the post as well as when you explained it and from the knowledge I have gained about electricity this is definitely one of my issues because my amp is grounded to the body and 0 gauge wire returning through 4 or 8 gauge is going cause issues. Thanks for the info about the terminals. Cause I was about ready to spend 30 bucks on special ones from knukonceptz.
No problem. If I think I can help, I will do my best to do so. The terminals... you may have to get some kind of side post terminals... I don't remember if the 88 had a side post battery. The pic below is what I have in my G6... they make a side post version of the same thing I believe. Mine are made by Sky High car audio. Just passing it along in case you have to go that route. You can enlarge the mount to fit a side post bolt... a longer side post bolt.

Attachments

• 20190715_195231_HDR2.jpg
    20190715_195231_HDR2.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

IndySlim

CoolAssDude
IndySlim
Omaha NE
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from