Will this amp do rated power or close to that?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have an re audio ctx 4200.1 and I need to know if at 2ohm it will supply 1000watts rms like it says or close to that. I'm matching this amp with an re audio sxx15d4 and I need to know if the amp will give the sub 1000watts rms wired at 2 ohms.
It's not accurately rated. Probably 1100-1200w at 1 ohm. I would guess 800-900 at 2.

I don't think getting mixed up with impedance rise etc is really an issue here. It's going to perform the way an ~800w amp is supposed to perform.

Difference between that and 1000w...very little.

It's not accurately rated. Probably 1100-1200w at 1 ohm. I would guess 800-900 at 2.I don't think getting mixed up with impedance rise etc is really an issue here. It's going to perform the way an ~800w amp is supposed to perform.

Difference between that and 1000w...very little.
if its 1100 at 1 ohm, it'll be closer to 550 at 2 ohm and even less at 4 ohm, impedance rise does play a factor even on music. Only way to know is to do clamp tests from 28hz to 50hz and make in impedance chart. People get a lot less power than they think they get due to rise. thats why you have a bunch of guys running 1.5x to double rated power on their subs and their subs handling them just fine on music and they notice a noticeable bit of gain in loudness vs just running rated power, The sub is actually fed at rated power after rise takes place.

if its 1100 at 1 ohm, it'll be closer to 550 at 2 ohm and even less at 4 ohm,
not necessarily. You're assuming the power supply doubles power at every halving of impedance. I've rarely if ever seen that with budget level amps. Their power increases tend to be much smaller, and they get further away from their ratings as impedance drops.

impedance rise does play a factor even on music.
of course it does

Only way to know is to do clamp tests from 28hz to 50hz and make in impedance chart.
Yeah, and who's going to (or would want to) do that?

People get a lot less power than they think they get due to rise. thats why you have a bunch of guys running 1.5x to double rated power on their subs and their subs handling them just fine on music and they notice a noticeable bit of gain in loudness vs just running rated power, The sub is actually fed at rated power after rise takes place.
Yes, that's all fine and good, and I believe most of us trying to help people here are well aware of all that.

But the guy simply asked if his amp is going to do what the ratings say it will do.

The technical answer - no.

The general answer -- while it is a little over-rated it will work well with the sub.

I don't think feeding a novice crap about impedance rise and crest factor and efficiency does much to help them figure out if their amp is going to do what it claims to be able to do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.