Will Jbl 1200.1 hurt my alt.?

solobaric12
10+ year member

When my Jbl 1200.1 comes in will i have a problem with my alternator on my 1994 ford explorer??? i will have it kooled up to 2 kicker solobaric L7 12"s... how should i wire the subs to the amp? they are dual 4 ohm... should i wire each sub seprate into 2 ohms so the amp will put 1200 watts to each one?or wire them together into 1 ohm & put out 1200 watts total with 600 watts goin to each one... i am confused about this... please help... & another question is can i use a home breaker im place of my fuse in my power wire, that away i wouldin have to wory bout blowing fuses, if sumthin messed up i could just filp the breaker back on... please help me on all this

ok...well at 2ohms the jbl pull aprox 114ampers max....i believe its a bit higher at 1 ohm....so i'd checkyour alt and see if it can handle the load.....also....wire the subs in parallel(see below disregard the yellow)....that will be a one ohm load ......and a fuse breaker will work fine....click the link below for a list of some

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Circuit+Breakers&sidebar_type=types&selected=Circuit+Breakers&x=34&y=12

spk3dvc3.gif

good luck man

well what u basicly need to do is find out how many ampers ur alt puts out.....subtract the 114 from that....and also subtract 25-35 ampers for your car to run.....if your alt still has some ampers left your good to go...otherwise i'd advise upgrading your alt

Originally posted by Bumpin03 run it at 2 ohms if you possibly can. i had a 105 amp alt and my jbl 1200.1 blew it (running at 1 ohm).
oh ****....so will i be in trouble with my 100A alt and the jbl 1200.1 ?

i posted it in another thread but now i am very confused and worried

some ppl said it will be fine....now i not feeling that way

well, you would be fine if you don't turn it up too loud, otherwise, i'd suggest getting a new alt, maybe a 200amp alt. you can get one for $225 at mralternator.com //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by Moocow16 well, you would be fine if you don't turn it up too loud, otherwise, i'd suggest getting a new alt, maybe a 200amp alt. you can get one for $225 at mralternator.com //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i cant change the alt...the technician at the car company said if i change it...it will affect the computer in the car and screw up the whole electrical system

i actually kinda doubt that.....probably just trying to get u to buy from him so he can charge tons for labor......but i may be wrong....dont take my word for it...i'd go to a alt. shop and ask them....

Originally posted by Goddyd4me i actually kinda doubt that.....probably just trying to get u to buy from him so he can charge tons for labor......but i may be wrong....dont take my word for it...i'd go to a alt. shop and ask them....
well these guys service the car...they dont have anythign to do with the music

they advised me not to touch the alt

Originally posted by Goddyd4me so they are saying there is no way to ad a larger alt to the car??? what k ind of car is it???
well they didnt say not to ad another one...but they said not touch the original

maybe i shoudl get an extra battery or a batcap ?

it's a 2000 mitsubishi galant

and extra batt. or a bat cap wouldnt help...just add to the straing alt....i would talk to them and see if there is any way for them to get the alt upgraded

Originally posted by Goddyd4me and extra batt. or a bat cap wouldnt help...just add to the straing alt....i would talk to them and see if there is any way for them to get the alt upgraded
oh well...what if i change my option and get a 600w amp that pulls about 80 amps for the most ? together with my 30A mids amp ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.