will big three solve this problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cgballin2002
10+ year member

I just put a hifonics 1600 watt amp in my truck a few days ago. When I drive at night my lights flash horribly when the bass is barely turned up.

When I was driving today the check gauges light came on and my the volt needle was at 18. So i turned the music all the way down and turned off my cd player and it went back to normal. I drove my truck back home and turned the music up and the rpm needle was jumping up and down like it wasn't getting enough power to run.

Would upgrading the big three help or do I need to get a high output alternator? or both?

First how did you set the gain on the amp?

if you are driving the amp into clipping by having the gains et incorrectly it can cause these problems.

the big 3 is a great idea no matter how large or small your system is.

a 100 amp alt should be capable of handling the power with at least 4 guage wiring and a decent battery. ho alt isn't necessary here if you've got all your bases covered.

I have slight dimming and voltage drops (As low as 11.4) with my JL 1000/1, and I have done the big 3 and replaced the stock battery with a Yellow top. I am guess that I am in the same boat as the OP.

Anywayz, to the OP, upgrade your wiring and you battery first. If the volatge drops persist, then you need a HO alt, along with myself.....

I have slight dimming and voltage drops (As low as 11.4) with my JL 1000/1, and I have done the big 3 and replaced the stock battery with a Yellow top. I am guess that I am in the same boat as the OP.
Anywayz, to the OP, upgrade your wiring and you battery first. If the volatge drops persist, then you need a HO alt, along with myself.....
Have you gotten your alt tested?

I really never seen any help from doing the Big 3 with either of my cars

I think its more of a stabilizer than making it gain voltage.....i dont see how a Hifonics 1600 could make ur charging system do that.....check your connections...something doesnt seem right

Good Luck

I really never seen any help from doing the Big 3 with either of my cars
I think its more of a stabilizer than making it gain voltage.....i dont see how a Hifonics 1600 could make ur charging system do that.....check your connections...something doesnt seem right

Good Luck
x2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.