Will an Open Trunk Damage Subs ?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi there I'm just curious as to weather playing my music with an open boot will damage my subs or not, reason why I'm asking is cause all my friends say so and I would just like some professional advise...

my setup is -

2x Targa 12' Street 5000w series subs in a double slotted box facing upwards in my boot, it is hooked up to a 12000w Targa Dynamite monoblock.

basically people just say that ill damage the coils by playing with the boot open, the reason I want to know is because I would like to play it with the boot open when out with mates and stuff as it sounds so much better then with closed boot...

as much info as possible will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Travis

Hi there I'm just curious as to weather playing my music with an open boot will damage my subs or not, reason why I'm asking is cause all my friends say so and I would just like some professional advise...
my setup is -

2x Targa 12' Street 5000w series subs in a double slotted box facing upwards in my boot, it is hooked up to a 12000w Targa Dynamite monoblock.

basically people just say that ill damage the coils by playing with the boot open, the reason I want to know is because I would like to play it with the boot open when out with mates and stuff as it sounds so much better then with closed boot...

Travis

Well It will not damage your subs if you know what your doing. I know a guy who with his doors in his car closed plays his subs at full tilt. Had a friend he was doing a demo for and the guy wanted out and he opened his door and ran outta the truck. Well when the guy opened the door it blew both his 12s. So if your sub was to say be at max excursion or full tilt and your trunk was closed and you opened it it makes airflow better which allows your sub to move more.Your trunk being closed was restricting airflow which was affecting your subs movements. If its already at its max then opening a door or trunk wouldnt be a good idea. Just know your subs limits. At half power you can open your trunk or doors all day long

my setup is -

Travis
Also Iv always found it sounds alot better inside the car than outside.

So long as the box is built right and not too large then your subs shouldn't unload to the point of failure with the trunk open.....

Off topic: I didn't know that Targa was still in business, I haven't heard that name since the early 90's....

my setup is -

Travis

If you roll your windows down or open your doors playing full tilt you can hear the difference in the sound your subs make its called unloading what your refering to

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.