wierd bass noises?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassBoomer
10+ year member

Pakelika
Warren,OR
i havent posted in a while because ive been running 2 re 8's on a profile CFA602 amp in a vw golf. it ran just fine for a long time i had each sub wired to each seperate channel because im not sure what ohms that was at or how many watts it ran to them but it sounded fine then one day the bass would just hit real hard like a booom boooom boooooooooom. and even when the volume was turned down it did it. and then for christmas i got 2 ed k 10's and hooked them up to the amp at a 4 ohm load and it does the same thing and now the music will cut out for a while . i checked all the wire and it all seemed fine. i think i said eveything so any help would be greatly appreciated. if u need more info just ask and ill see what i can do.

thanks

i checked all the wires every wire is conected and not loose and i dont think the ohms are too low cuz the k's are wired for a 4 ohm load to the amp bridged.

the lpf needs to go up thats whats making them boom. Any thing above 70hz is being chopped, and only the lower frequencies are getting through.. and the lower ones are ones that go "boom". Set the LPF higher.

what are the rms on the subs and amp /if you turn it up the it go's off /right/are the subs dvc/is the amp geting hot

the lpf needs to go up thats whats making them boom. Any thing above 70hz is being chopped, and only the lower frequencies are getting through.. and the lower ones are ones that go "boom". Set the LPF higher.
how high do you run your woofers?

70hz is more than adequate for the LPF. Heck, I've never set mine higher than 50hz. The problem isn't with the signal, it's a problem with the equipment. Sounds to me like the amp might be shot or has a loose connection internally.

One way to verify it isn't the installation is to try the amp in someone else's car.

Where is your gain set?

the gain is about a little over half and the bass boost is off.

the subs are 350 rms each dvc 4 ohm. and im not sure what the rms is on the amp but i think its 300x2 at 2 ohms and i have the subs wired to a 4 ohm load wich i thought would work and just not give them as many watts because i cant wire it to a 1 ohm load cause that would fry the amp, so i had to go with 4 ohms.

ide realy like to get this fixed so ideas to help me fix it would be great.

if it is an internal loose conection in the amp should i open it up or what?

Have you watched the amp when this is occurring?? If not, watch the power light and see if it's flickering on and off.

Also, play like a 50hz or 60hz sine wave, unhook the subs and stick a DMM on the amp's outputs. You should read a constant voltage.......if you don't, then you know the problem is the amp or somewhere prior to the amp (like the deck's RCA outputs). So, the next thing I would do is unplug the RCA's from the amp and stick the DMM on them. Play the sinwave again, and you should read some constant voltage amount. If not, then you know the problem is the deck's RCA preouts. If you do read a constant voltage, then you know the problem lies at the amp.

Or, if that sounds like too much work.....swap another amp into your install. If the new amp plays fine, then it is very likely that the amp is the problem. Either that, or something was making a very poor connection (but, you said you eliminated that).

can some one give me a link as to where i can download the sine wave so i can burn it onto a cd. and also where could i pick up a DMM? because i dont think we have one of those and i dont have another amp so ill go the DMM way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.