Why my highs sound distorted?

Double check for pinch points there may be some insulation over the months that has rubbed off and may arc to chasiss another lead of the speaker wire, thus at loud volumes with more voltage running in the wire the arc can reach farther. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.

Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.
The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.

Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.

The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.
Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.
And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.

It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.

And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.
It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.
FAIL.

Yes it can arc. Higher the voltage, farther an arc can travel. Higher your volume higher the voltage. And it does not mean "dead short", usually your wire wont weld to the chassis, it will just arc over a tiny area of air and find its path to least resistance back to the source (negative on the amp/battery)

k well i thought i fixed it by tightening up all the connections its still distorting but not as bad as it was before i tightened up all of my tweeter wires wow this is real frustrating

k well i thought i fixed it by tightening up all the connections its still distorting but not as bad as it was before i tightened up all of my tweeter wires wow this is real frustrating
check the midbass wiring as well. look behind the radio too. tape off anything that isnt being used.

i saw the ninja edit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

k im gonna save me all the hassle and bring it to the shop where i had it put it i set up an appointment for Monday

lmao, i just disconnected my tweets, put in new alpine tweeters with their x-overs and now my interior alpine door speakers are doing the same thing my tweeters were doing (cutting out and in/sounding distorted)....it sounds like the sound you get when you fidget around with the pos/neg leads for your interiors..wtf is the problem here this is so **** annoying

and its not even a distorted sound, it just sounds like it but its the speakers cutting in and out which makes it sound pretty distorted.just noticed this after a closer look and replacing tweets..can it be the HU going bad? i gotta avh-p5700d

yea its happening with all my speakers now so i guess i gotta check out the main source which is the head unit right? still haven't looked at the back of that.

the shop i took it to said they replaced the rca's and the noise is still doing it but not as bad, they said it could be the head unit thats the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.