Why is new RE XXX not good?

[quote name='Lbetts818']Brand new $$$ is insane for them. But I found a good used xxx 15 v2 a while back and loved it. Absolutely hands down one of my best sounding subs and was just so clean and played soooo looowwww cleanly. But if your spending new money hit up @denim and get those ssa zcons. They are hands down a great company from top to bottom.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. Just out of curiosity, would i still be better off with the zcons over two Sundown zv5s? Which would excel where and why?

Thank you

Hey guys,I’m just wondering why the new RE XXX is considered so inferior to the 02-05 model? What changed that much? The cosmetics of the sub are insane as it’s massive, and has an Xmax of 54 mm which is pretty insane. I plan on ordering two SSA ZCONS soon, but saw a sale for two RE XXX 12 for $900 near me. The zcon would still be superior right? Is the xxx truly not worth it anymore?
shit motor, inefficient and unbalanced sub. All that MMS and you'll never come close to reaching half of it unless you throw a lot of power, but even then the coil might not even handle it.

That's like asking wether to get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari for most bassheads. Your never going to get a straight up answer unfortunately.
Yeah I’ve noticed. I unfortunately have never heard either in person, but have heard many good things about both. If I was doing two 12s on a twisted sounds 3.5k at half ohm, they’re both getting right about 5k. Just not sure which to get

shit motor, inefficient and unbalanced sub. All that MMS and you'll never come close to reaching half of it unless you throw a lot of power, but even then the coil might not even handle it.
I'll stick to my underling large diameter coils before I DO SC.

Xbl works good but the geometry cause it to be huge expensive and heavy.

That's like asking wether to get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari for most bassheads. Your never going to get a straight up answer unfortunately.
Because at the level that those two are on, it really comes down to tuning. Both are reputable companies, both have impeccable customer service. What it would really boil down to is if you are willing to wait for build time with the zcons. You would not be disappointed with either sub, so basically 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other know what I mean dude?

So what makes the new one so inferior to the old. I see lots of times of transition and the vaunted company gets a bad wrap, sometimes undeserved, mostly deserved.
Did they start using inferior materials? Change the design? Etc?

I loved my old XXX's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't think the new one are bad at all. They sound really nice and are well built IMO. The big downside is the MSRP is brutal and also they use all proprietary parts. For example if you blew up the '02 version you could recone it with easy to find parts and either keep it underhung or put in a coil that would be well suited for SPL, or just throw in whatever parts.

This was at least 5 years ago. I know owner left, I think he was part of Oncore audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Originally was brought into the OnCore team, then was told project wasn't going anywhere and told to leave. Now he is running Stevens Audio.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't think the new one are bad at all. They sound really nice and are well built IMO. The big downside is the MSRP is brutal and also they use all proprietary parts. For example if you blew up the '02 version you could recone it with easy to find parts and either keep it underhung or put in a coil that would be well suited for SPL, or just throw in whatever parts.
It's not underhung

I vote Zcons because I am biased and we have them on sale right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bigmak927

bigmak927
Detroit, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
jordon