Why I ask WHY

Participant count
  • Participant list

Free_Style
10+ year member

Chicago
Why does phoenix gold only put 40-800 in incrments of 70 on FREQ. I can't tell were 80 is. And I have heard people say you should match the SENS to the output voltage of your head unit, I have 8 volt and the amp onlys shows 6 and 12. When I put it half way the sub really moves put does not seem to change the sound.

Also should I put the componets on BY or HI. I have a sub for the LO's.

Originally posted by Free_Style Why does phoenix gold only put 40-800 in incrments of 70 on FREQ. I can't tell were 80 is.
I know *****. you have to estimate but its a SLOPE anyway
And I have heard people say you should match the SENS to the output voltage of your head unit, I have 8 volt and the amp onlys shows 6 and 12. When I put it half way the sub really moves put does not seem to change the sound.
you don't match gain on your AMP 1/1. Meaning if the HU is 8v you wouldn't set the amp for 8v. What you want is an OVERLAP. You either what a 3/1 or a 10dB overlap. Meaning you use a 0dB test tone and find the highest voltage of your hu then you set your amp for an overlap of that. So lets say you get 8v unclipped. You want a 3/1 so you set the AMP for 2.66v OR you use a -10dB test tone and you set you amp for a 1/1 of the HU that way when a 0dB signal play you will be overlaping by 10dB
Also should I put the componets on BY or HI. I have a sub for the LO's.
I would set them for HI so you cut the bass a lose the distortion from the highs BUT Its up to you and the HI setting might leave a hole in the sound.

you don't match gain on your AMP 1/1. Meaning if the HU is 8v you wouldn't set the amp for 8v. What you want is an OVERLAP. You either what a 3/1 or a 10dB overlap. Meaning you use a 0dB test tone and find the highest voltage of your hu then you set your amp for an overlap of that. So lets say you get 8v unclipped. You want a 3/1 so you set the AMP for 2.66v OR you use a -10dB test tone and you set you amp for a 1/1 of the HU that way when a 0dB signal play you will be overlaping by 10dB

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. 0db TEST TONE WOULD BE ON A CD RIGHT. AND LETS SAY IT IS A TRUE 8V HOW WOULD I TEST THAT. AND IF I WANTED TO SET THE AMP TO 2.66 I CAN ONLY SEE 6-12 ON THE SENS SCREW.

Originally posted by Free_Style

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. 0db TEST TONE WOULD BE ON A CD RIGHT.
yea that the loudest signal that can be recorded on a cd
AND LETS SAY IT IS A TRUE 8V HOW WOULD I TEST THAT
volt meter
. AND IF I WANTED TO SET THE AMP TO 2.66 I CAN ONLY SEE 6-12 ON THE SENS SCREW.
you mean to tell me that the MOST sensitive the AMP gets is 6v??? I don't think so. must be .6v You would have to EST again for seting

Well Chris I amgoing to set both amps today and record some tuning songs. I think i am just going to tune by ear. Also there is an option on my HU that says SENS HI, MED, and LO what would set it on?

Originally posted by Free_Style Well Chris I amgoing to set both amps today and record some tuning songs. I think i am just going to tune by ear.
cool use some 0dB track though
Also there is an option on my HU that says SENS HI, MED, and LO what would set it on?
I never heard of that what does it affect? If it has anything to do with the output voltage in the RCAs let it for the highest voltage which to me sound like LOW. Meaning low sensitivity of processors/AMPs DOWN STREAM which could take HIGH VOLTAGE. Look into that. I never heard of it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.