Why does speaker wire touching metal create gnarly screeching?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I installed some component speakers, but at the moment the speaker wire coming out of my xover for my tweeters isn't connected to the tweeters and is just hanging around. I noticed today that a couple times it bumped into my door (no door panel all metal) and all the speakers created an extreme piercing screech. What exactly causes this and what is happening when that occurs. Something with grounding i would imagine.

Could I have damaged my speakers/amp? Just wondering thanks

ur gonna kill ur amp!
Still no insight into what causes this? I'm looking for science here people. Mind going into detail on what this does to the amp? I already reattached the tweeters and everything sounds just fine

Still no insight into what causes this? I'm looking for science here people. Mind going into detail on what this does to the amp? I already reattached the tweeters and everything sounds just fine
We could explain but honestly I don't think you'd understand.

Start here if you'd really like to learn something: Basic Car Audio Electronics

ur grounding ur outputs,common sence here. will put ur amp into protection or blow amp...
I realize that my outputs are contacting grounds, but didn't see the connection between that and make the rest of my channels scream.

I realize that my outputs are contacting grounds, but didn't see the connection between that and make the rest of my channels scream.
dude you are grounding out your amp,you keep doing that you will blow that amp,your amp chassis is grounded,your speaker outputs are AC voltage and AC current,and you are letting that AC power touch a DC negative ground,so...........what do you think is going to happen???????????/

dude you are grounding out your amp,you keep doing that you will blow that amp,your amp chassis is grounded,your speaker outputs are AC voltage and AC current,and you are letting that AC power touch a DC negative ground,so...........what do you think is going to happen???????????/
word. lol problem solved.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.