Why does my new sub sound like its "maxing out"

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jlaudioeh

canada
I have a new JL audio 13.5" TW5 Shallow driver in an enclosed box. Im powering it with Alpine MRP-M350

Class D Monoblock Amplifier. It sounds fine at low and mid range volume but when i turn it up it sounds like its "maxing out" The sub should be able to handle twice what that amp can put out.....Any ideas?

You might be clipping it into distortion. Maxed out = bottoming out where the voice coils are slamming against the magnet and losing control hearing a lot of mechanical noise. Distortion from clipping just sounds like cr*ap. You either need more power if you expect more out of it. It could also be you are expecting too much out of a shallow sub. Try repositioning the subwoofer, subwoofer placement can actually make you a lot louder depending on where you put it.

Amp apparently tops out at 350W RMS @ 2ohms, sub is 600W. Could be that i am "clipping". I will try playing with the gain but more than likely I am asking too much of the amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.