Why does my hifonics amp keeps going in to protect?

mandav15

I got about a week ago a hifonics amp hfi1500d mono and two kickers cvr aluminized (800 watts/ 400 rms).

The amp is mounted to the back the speaker box and the amp is at 3/4ths of its power.

What happens is when I turn on my truck the amp light is green and works but then goes red into protect mode after a minute, but when I turn my truck off and back on, the amp starts working but turns into protect mode again after a minute having to turn on and off my truck 3 times before the amp finally stays on.

I'm not sure what is wrong and why it keeps doing that... What could be wrong? Thanks for your help.

what i'd say is wrong is you have no real idea what you're doing, go to a local shop and get them to set the amp correctly, also .. what do you have the speakers wired at?

Check all your power connections, especially the ground. The ground should be bolted down tightly, and any paint should be sanded away.

What TheLow said, too. If you have the subs wired down to a lower impedance than the amp can handle than it will overheat and go into protect.

ok well i went to get it installed at a shop but im not sure if the dumb *** that connected them did it right or not, im gonna go back there and tell them to check.

and im sure the amp does not overheat because it still works maybe the ground is not bolted down right ill have them check that to.

but for sure you guys think it is a connection problem?

Are your subs the dual 4s or dual 2s? And saying your amp is at 3/4ths of the power is making it seem like the gain is set too high and causing your amp to go into protect.

Make sure your sub aren't the dual 2s and are wired at .5 ohm because that will cause your amp to go into protect. Check your gain to make sure it's not set too high, check all your connections and make sure they aren't loose.

there are many things it could be. poor ground, loose connections, too small wire, too low imp.. another thing, you said the amp is mounted on the box. sometimes the amp can get damaged from vibrations. not saying this is the case, just a few things to consider. if you know how to use a vom meter you can trouble shoot the problems very quickly. some(not saying all) shops will help trouble shoot the problem. i help alot of ppl every day and do not charge for the help. some shops will do the same to possibly get some of your future business. when i help someone that is the way i look at it.

so i fixed the problem, i took it to a shop and they said it was the ground... it was not getting enough voltage. I also got my amp dismounted from the back of my box to avoid internal damage to the amp. =) thank you guys for all your help, it really did help pinpoint what the actual problem was.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.