Why does my deck reset when...

Krooger

Canada
Hello, I recently swapped out some old crappy pioneer HU for a new Alpine IDA X200:

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_IDA_X200_Receiver_with_iPod_Protocol_p/500IDAX200.htm

It runs much better, but when I turn the volume high enough (and this isn't super high or anything, about 20/35) the HU will turn off and then turn back on.

I can't tell for sure but from trying things out it almost seems as if higher bass will make it reset more and also if I very slowly turn the volume up I can get it higher, maybe around 25/30.

I can't find anyone that has had this problem. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank You!

I don't know if it matters but I have crappy front factory speakers, nice aftermarket rear speakers, and Just put in an amp and subs. This problem happened before the subs where put in and afterwards.

I was thinking about that, I tried to just fade to the rear speakers. Does that not work? Do I have to physicaly remove the connection?

Also I noticed that the HU ground is wired into the harness with all the other wires and not grounded directly out of the HU. I don't know much about this stuff I just watched my buddy install it, but I hear that might cause similar problems. Does this sound possible?

it could be the factory ground wire it really needs to be connect to metal instead of the factory harness so yes that is a possibility. fading it to the rear works depending on the head unit. the best way to check is with a meter. try changing the ground wire if that doesnt fix it and if fading doesnt work if you have a meter test with the radio off the speakers and make sure they are reading the correct ohm load

I think it could be one of several things

More bass causes a possible loose connection to merge, therefore shorting out and resetting the HU. I had a similar issue when a wire behind one of my speakers connected to the metal door frame during bass because it wasn't soldered properly. I don't think this is it though, because you need a lot off air to move speaker wires, or even high volumes won't be likely to do it.

My second guess is the ground is very insufficient, therefore when you try to drain more power, it cannot function properly. Try moving the ground to the frame, and make sure it is VERY securely tightened.

Another unlikely guess would be that because of the subs etc, you are draining too much power. But this is unlikely...

I'm pretty sure if anything, it would be the second one

it's the ground most likely. my kenwood was doing the same thing. bought a new pioneer and it was doing the same thing. found out my weird ass harness connected to the ground on the cd player but did not actually go out of the harness to a ground. made it connect to a ground and have not had a problem since.

The more i think about it the more confident I am that it is a problem with the ground or possibly the wire gage. Unfortunatly there are 7H left of work to go. I'll ground it directly as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. Still open to any crazy suggestions though!

it would always randomly cut off too sometimes it would stay on for a day sometimes it would just blink on and off. and i think the antennae was acting as a ground somewhat but was not stable enough.

UPDATE:: Guess what, I tried changing the ground and it didn't work but I did find out some new stuff. Ok If I fade all the way to the back I can crank it (If I SUPER crank it it will reset still) and if I fade all the way forward it I can Crank it also but my deck starts to fade color on bass hits. Sooo I cannot run all four speakers but using only 2 I can go quite loud.

The only crazy idea I have right now is that the front speakers demand too much power to try and keep up with the back speakers so thats why it cuts out when I use all four speakers. But that dosent really explain why I can make it reset when I only use the back speakers if I crank volume and bass enough.

What you guys think?

sounds like the factory speakers are less than 4 ohms and it is drawing too much current from the internal IC amp. try ohm testing the speaker leads tell us what it is, if it is less than 4 ohms that is what is causing it. Alpines pos IC components **** and cant handle anything below 3.6 ohms per channel.

could be that you swapped out a pioneer for a crappy alpine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Karma.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.