Why does my amp turn off when im bumpin?

jbarrows5109
10+ year member

Hi everyone, I'm having an issue with my amplfier. Its a Performance Teknique ICBM-Super 5000/1 1 ohm stable with 2000 watts rms powering my 2 DD 1508's dvc 4 ohm. I set my gains and everything but when I turn it up (and I mean UP!!!) it tuns off and that never happened with my DD CM1. I have 0 guage all the way from my Yellow Top under my hood. I thought it was an rca issue but I tried 3 different ones and it happened to ALL 3 plus I doubt my stinger rca will do me wrong. So my question is, why is it turning off? Any help will be helpful. Thanks!!!

Yes, I do have a "Big 3 Upgrade" and I did it with 0 guage wiring too. But I had this amp powering a DD 9515 dvc with "NO" issue hiting 150's at comps so I doubt its because of the "Cheap" quality.

Yes, I do have a "Big 3 Upgrade" and I did it with 0 guage wiring too. But I had this amp powering a DD 9515 dvc with "NO" issue hiting 150's at comps so I doubt its because of the "Cheap" quality.
Vids of you hitting 150s with a single 15 and 2k watts?

I think you have your gains set too high and the amp is going into protect.

Could your speaker impedance be going below 1 ohm and sending amp into protect? I was discussing this very issue the other day with a fellow installer. He has actually seen this happen to a sub setup. Check all of your voice coils. GOOD LUCK

Could your speaker impedance be going below 1 ohm and sending amp into protect? I was discussing this very issue the other day with a fellow installer. He has actually seen this happen to a sub setup. Check all of your voice coils. GOOD LUCK
X2

That's my thought right theer^.

I have an Audison LRx5.1k and when I (Rarely) put in a bass CD, like bass mekanik, and turn it up, the amp goes into protect. Sub ch gains are all the way down too. On regular material I'm ok.

No videos yet but I will soon. And i was also discussing the issue with my installer so he put my amp on his 2 DD 2512's which are on his display and it does the same thing. He's going to have to open it up, he said, to see why its doing that. But before i installed my 8's i had a secondary battery installed with it (Kinetik 800), can that be why its "NOW" doing that? Should i install the battery back in?

Very well could be. When the bass hits, then there's a demand for current and maybe yet voltage drops to low and the amp shuts off until the voltage is high enough it turns back on. Hook the 2ND battery back up and see if it still happens.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.