why do my tweeters do this?

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
so have new comp set p660c installed and i was instantly floored how amazing they sounded for their pricepoint. so couldnt be happier until i started noticing the tweeters are what i call bipolar. some songs its like out of this world clean pricise and in was so happy with the textile material first soft dome i liked. but other songs sound like chaos. its just to much a swarm of shhhhhhhh in everything which is weird because other songs are so clear and spot on. in the good ones i have heard details i never heard before like a echo of a voice or someone breathing and i love it. but im just confused how they can be so different. also i know it not the files because my other tweeters never did that. is this just the cost of have upfraded components or could these just only like a certain frequency band? just want to get some input before i swap them out.

Short of playing with crossover points (going active), the best thing you can do to dramatically change the sound of tweeters is change the location or aiming. If you have a poor location you can pay 800$ a pop for tweeters and they won't sound good. Also some 30 band EQ could possibly help tame down problem areas in your response. I can say I've installed these components before and I didn't notice any glaring issues, so I'm guessing your problem is rather install specific (more to do with your vehicle's acoustics than the components themselves)

Oh, also worth asking, what source are you using for music? Everything CD or known CD quality? Poorly ripped MP3's or trying to use headphone jack from an MP3 player will make poor sound.

its all mp3 on a thumb drive. The tweeters are on axis in a pillars built in to car(hard to tell but those are pointed directly at front seats and at ear level. i pressure fitted the jbls in there fit nicely. The reason I say can't be the files is because if I put replaced tweeters back in they are more consistant with all music. But im wondering is its just them being so good that they will pick up harshness in crappy or unbalanced music?

also it could be bcause ive always prefered hard domes always in every scenario so maybe im just to used to them but I doubt that because to me some of these songs on these soft domes resonate way more and are are more harsh. i had some people get in car see if they noticed it and most did without to telling them. imagine you heard someone say the letter s. in all my hard domes it was sssssss and with these in some songs its like this shhhhhhhhshhhhhhhhhh and another way to help describe is lets say a song with someone tapping on a cymbal hard in that case it would sound like one constant cymbal instead of the seaperate taps the drummer is making which im assuming thats what people mean by resonance?

its all mp3 on a thumb drive. The tweeters are on axis in a pillars built in to car(hard to tell but those are pointed directly at front seats and at ear level. i pressure fitted the jbls in there fit nicely. The reason I say can't be the files is because if I put replaced tweeters back in they are more consistant with all music. But im wondering is its just them being so good that they will pick up harshness in crappy or unbalanced music?
also it could be bcause ive always prefered hard domes always in every scenario so maybe im just to used to them but I doubt that because to me some of these songs on these soft domes resonate way more and are are more harsh. i had some people get in car see if they noticed it and most did without to telling them. imagine you heard someone say the letter s. in all my hard domes it was sssssss and with these in some songs its like this shhhhhhhhshhhhhhhhhh and another way to help describe is lets say a song with someone tapping on a cymbal hard in that case it would sound like one constant cymbal instead of the seaperate taps the drummer is making which im assuming thats what people mean by resonance?
Thats just your tweeters sounding harsh with heavy sibilance. simple solution is to get a Good head unit. I've had that heavy SSS problems on certain songs before, nothing I tried solved it. Going active, switching tweeter position, on axis, off axis, changing crossover points, EQ, sound deadening, upgraded electrical system, lossless music files the works... Helped a bit but never really solved the problem That is until I got a pioneer 80 prs, installed, Boom like magic its all gone. Internal sound processors and DACs work wonders man. If you have a lot of money, you can keep your current head unit and get a DSP like a jbl ms-8, pricey but worth it. If not, start looking for SQ oriented head units like an 80 prs, kenwood x998, alpine 149bt with 24 bit convertors, time alignment, and wide band parametric EQs

Before buying one, you can try all the things i've listed. Mainly getting good 320kbps music not something ripped from youtube.

the jbl ms-8 says it works with factory systems how the heck do you wire that up what to what?
Hook up high level speaker outs from your HU into the MS-8 and take RCAs out from MS8

Mounting tweeters in those locations is a recipe for disaster. You have a problem with the sound from your mids and tweets not being in phase since they're so far apart causing issues at and around crossover frequency, you have reflections off the glass and dash, and a bit of a horn loading effect having them in the corner. plus the one on the right is way closer to on-axis than your left one from the driver's seat.

I saw a build where the ONLY thing that helped a really nasty node was for the guy to lay a sweatshirt on the hump between the driver and passenger seat.

I'd agree that some processing power could very well allow you to work around this issue with a lot less fuss than trying to re-mount the tweeters.

how is it reflecting off glass when its angeed directly at my face i dont think you can tell in pictures those have a sharp angle on them completely pointing away from glass ans stick out very far from dash it doesn't look like in pic though. they blend very well with mid bass very even wouldnt i hear clear seaperation between the two if was that out of phase?

im running it active i believe they are crossed at about 7-8k
Try change the crossover points or lower the gain on the tweets. Make sure its not the midrange causing the sound, I've experienced a few midranges that has the piercing "SSss" sounds when when it tries to play the 6khz range.

If either of these dont help, jump straight to the sound processor, you'll be loving the SQ from a proper tuned system with a DSP.

id love to add a dsp but it confuses me so much ive never done one it sound cool but idk where to wire it or how like do i run wires from the dsp to each individual speaker and tweeter all seaperately i tried googling and you tubing it didnt find much if someone walked me through it id deffinantly spend the time and money on it for sure.

Picture 4 of 5 for JBL P26T

This is my tweeter crossover its way to big to fit where I need it can I get the same capacitor at RadioShack? And is loosing the inductor in it a problem not sure the main purpose of it is. What cap at RadioShack will do the same as this one?

Hey, i know this is an old thread, but I had a similar problem with my home stereo when I upgraded my speakers, many of my MP3s sounded like crap. An easy and free check is to find a song that sounds terrible, then find a better quality (higher bit rate) or better yet, a flac file if your player will play it, of the same song. Compare the two files of the same song. The moral is better equipment exposes weaknesses in the source material.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.