why component?

Honestly I'm running coax speakers in front and back off of a Jenson 760 watt/75 watts rms x4 cea-2006 compliant and it sounds great! I don't see the need for components yet. And I just installed a JBL MS-8 crossover on my speakers and it sounds just fine. Idk what you all are complaining about lol. I can see the need for components but I like coax's just as much.

Honestly I'm running coax speakers in front and back off of a Jenson 760 watt/75 watts rms x4 cea-2006 compliant and it sounds great! I don't see the need for components yet. And I just installed a JBL MS-8 crossover on my speakers and it sounds just fine. Idk what you all are complaining about lol. I can see the need for components but I like coax's just as much.
I know for a fact that using coaxials will not get you the staging that you can get from a set of components. Just because it sounds great to you, doesn't mean that is a properly set up stage and suitable for a sq competition. Though, it is what matters most.

I don't know man.....

If your car has the ability to take coaxials on the dash to fire right in your face, by all means set it up that way and make the mid range cone play down to 500hz.

Considering how difficult it is to get mid bass in a vehicle, door speakers should be set up exclusively for mid bass only. Absolutely no more than 500hz.

I'm not in the mind set that a 2-way comp set is going to cover most octaves effectively. I believe you need at least a 3-way setup, not including subs, before things start sounding pretty.

It's all about proper staging. You can't get a proper sound stage with tweeters pointing at your ankles. That doesn't mean coaxials can't sound good. Just that they can't provide the same sound stage that components can when they're properly installed.

One reason I think that so many people are against components is that most people don't set them up properly. When you have tweets in the windshield posts or the top of the door panels that are properly aimed, you don't need much power to them at all. I've heard a lot of setups where guys throw stupid power at their tweeters and the result is an out of balance sound that frankly, burns the hell out of your ears.

My tweets are in the factory windshield post locations and they're bi-amped on a 75 wpc amp that has the gain turned all the way down on the channels the tweets are on. They sound fantastic and the sound stage is in front of you, not below you. The mids are getting 100 each and should be getting 200 each while the tweets only need a small amount of power.

I don't know man.....
If your car has the ability to take coaxials on the dash to fire right in your face' date=' by all means set it up that way and make the mid range cone play down to 500hz.

Considering how difficult it is to get mid bass in a vehicle, door speakers should be set up exclusively for mid bass only. Absolutely no more than 500hz.

I'm not in the mind set that a 2-way comp set is going to cover most octaves effectively. I believe you need at least a 3-way setup, not including subs, before things start sounding pretty.[/quote']

Really? I think you should have a listen to my car. Plenty of midbass, great staging, great dynamics, and tonally correct. Mids in doors tweeters in the sail panels. Many people make wonderful sounding cars with mids in doors. You just have to know what you are doing. The fact you are so convinced you can't get a car to sound correct with a 2 way set, leads me to believe you don't have the right tools, or you have no idea what you are doing.

Beatin, if you have the opportunity to listen to different vehicles that have some proof that they sound good(SQ competition history, 3rd party testimonial) you really should take it. Seek out people who know how and why staging and imaging works in the car and you could learn a lot. I see you have a real interest in learning about audio, but you seem to be getting confused.

Beatin, if you have the opportunity to listen to different vehicles that have some proof that they sound good(SQ competition history, 3rd party testimonial) you really should take it. Seek out people who know how and why staging and imaging works in the car and you could learn a lot. I see you have a real interest in learning about audio, but you seem to be getting confused.
If he is in Michigan like his account states, he can't be TOO far away from me. I'm more than willing to have him come on over to one of my MECA shows and listen to my car.

I don't know man.....
If your car has the ability to take coaxials on the dash to fire right in your face' date=' by all means set it up that way and make the mid range cone play down to 500hz.

I'm not in the mind set that a 2-way comp set is going to cover most octaves effectively. I believe you need at least a 3-way setup, not including subs, before things start sounding pretty.[/quote']

If youve never heard good midbass in a car door what ever you heard was installed wrong.

It's all about proper staging. You can't get a proper sound stage with tweeters pointing at your ankles. That doesn't mean coaxials can't sound good. Just that they can't provide the same sound stage that components can when they're properly installed.
One reason I think that so many people are against components is that most people don't set them up properly. When you have tweets in the windshield posts or the top of the door panels that are properly aimed, you don't need much power to them at all. I've heard a lot of setups where guys throw stupid power at their tweeters and the result is an out of balance sound that frankly, burns the hell out of your ears.
I agree 100%. With my tweets in the door pillars a -6 db cut on my crosses creates a great sound stage for me with minimal EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.