Why are my speakers distorting?

Dirtrider4eva
10+ year member

√\_The CaUsE__
so, i have alpine 6.5" type r speakers all the way around. currently just finished wiring the back two to my alpine 300.4 amp, wired in parallel. hooked them up, all good and fine, then i replaced my cheapo schoche RCA's ( a week later) with Monster Amazon.com: Monster MPC I404 4C-3M Extreme Low Noise 4-Channel Car Stereo RCA Cables (3 meters): Electronics cable 4 channel rcas, and then i got alot of distortion at 0 volume. well i pulled the rca's out, and just turn my stereo on to see what happened, still a ton of distortion. why!!?? before this wasnt happening. i dont know why now

yeah exactly actuallly. i do own a pioneer headunit. would this be a potential problem? its a mvt 8200.

and i turned the gains down from about 7/10, to half and the distortion cleared so im assuming its with the amp. the rcas had no issues.

yeah exactly actuallly. i do own a pioneer headunit. would this be a potential problem? its a mvt 8200. and i turned the gains down from about 7/10, to half and the distortion cleared so im assuming its with the amp. the rcas had no issues.
How did you set your gain the first time?

no he means actually grounding the rca's at the hu
if you say "Ground the RCA" it doesn't tell someone what to do. ground what? the center pin??? that would be a bad idea.

that's why I clarified how to do it. the purpose of grounding the shield on one RCA is to verify if something inside the deck (ahem, Pioneer) has failed resulting in noise due to a lack of continuity to reference ground. Really, it's just a Pioneer fix because of their silly diode. And since all RCA shields are internally tied to signal ground (not always chassis ground, and does not apply to balanced two-wire systems) then you only need to do one shield.

in the future, don't say "ground the RCA" since it isn't telling the whole story and someone could damage their gear trying it improperly. instead, provide proper advice by suggesting they "ground the shield of one RCA at the head unit). details are important when giving advice.

yeah exactly actuallly. i do own a pioneer headunit. would this be a potential problem? its a mvt 8200. and i turned the gains down from about 7/10, to half and the distortion cleared so im assuming its with the amp. the rcas had no issues.
Sounds like you need a tuning lesson.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.