why are caps bad

I use a 1.2 farad 24volt cap and it does help. If I haven't used my truck in a few days the lights will dimm a little at first. Once everything gets charged up I have no issues. My cap has a voltage meter on it and I don't go under 13.5-13.8 on big bass notes. My amps draw and make alot of power but I think it has more to do with my altenator. I have a truck so I am sure it puts out more than say a Honda Civic or any car for that matter. I was on Rockford's website the other day and they suggest a 40 farad cap for each of my amps:confused: I have had no issues with the way it is setup so I am not about to fix it....not yet anyway. Keep in mind my cap is only 1.2 farad but I paid over $200 for it:crazy: So maybe you get what you pay for.

I use a 1.2 farad 24volt cap and it does help. If I haven't used my truck in a few days the lights will dimm a little at first. Once everything gets charged up I have no issues. My cap has a voltage meter on it and I don't go under 13.5-13.8 on big bass notes. My amps draw and make alot of power but I think it has more to do with my altenator. I have a truck so I am sure it puts out more than say a Honda Civic or any car for that matter. I was on Rockford's website the other day and they suggest a 40 farad cap for each of my amps:confused: I have had no issues with the way it is setup so I am not about to fix it....not yet anyway. Keep in mind my cap is only 1.2 farad but I paid over $200 for it:crazy: So maybe you get what you pay for.

Go with the second statement, not the first.

OK so i have a wall mart brand (cringe) 1 farad cap.... but i got 2 batts now and the extra battery fixed all the dimming and other mess.sooo... should i remove?????
Yes you should remove it unless you see the need for it. If it has a voltage meter on it that you realy cannot do without or whatever, leave it be. Or if you glassed it in your install and don't feel like messing with it, leave it. Just know that a cap is NOT going to help you. There are some people like myself that feel like they actually could hurt you to a very small degree. It in essence is still a device that you have to power and charge, therefore it is a load to your electrical system. Since caps have a higher ESR, they self discharge, so they always need recharging anyways. It is a small load, but a load none the less.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.