Why am I clipping?

Jaudio89

CarAudio.com Newbie
MN
Hi all. I’m looking for some input. Im trying to figure out why im clipping. My taramps indicator is flashing clipping and my sub is nowhere near being pushed even close to what it’s capable of. This 10” is definitely loud but it’s barely moving has so much more excursion to go.

Sub is G2 Dynamics Genesys Series 10" Subwoofer Dual 4 Ohm × 1

amp is a Tara amp bass 3k

Sub wired to 2 ohm

The box I built is a design from G2 dynamics

I’m running 0 gauge for power wire and 12 gauge for speaker wire.

i have not done big 3 upgrade and have a stock alternator and running stock battery… My lights don’t dim and my battery is consistent above 14v

Vehicle is GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

thanks for any input. I do remember the gentleman at G2 stated he definitely recommends the big 3 and a second battery.. do you think this could be my problem my amp is not getting enough juice?

let me know if I’m missing any other info

Attachments

• 849EDD1B-B04C-4A13-959C-AA87102BE0A5.jpeg
    849EDD1B-B04C-4A13-959C-AA87102BE0A5.jpeg
    781.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 321EAE24-EF49-4EA1-8029-ABB33A0044DC.jpeg
    321EAE24-EF49-4EA1-8029-ABB33A0044DC.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 20
  • AE2FECB9-E62A-432E-B64E-4894578F6A9B.jpeg
    AE2FECB9-E62A-432E-B64E-4894578F6A9B.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 251A8C51-6668-4D14-8D23-CA078BD600D6.jpeg
    251A8C51-6668-4D14-8D23-CA078BD600D6.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 17
did you set your gains like this? test tones are at the very bottom

did you set your gains like this? test tones are at the very bottom

No I have not. Need to get my hands on a meter yet. But my gain on the tar is barely moved.

get or borrow someones batt for a backup and try it that way.if it doesnt clip anymore then there is your answer..on my ddx396 i had to figure out how to get louder without clipping.it was in the settings of the hu.maybe your settings ? maybe not.just throwin it out there.

Your supply is weak to run that amp off stock battery and alt in that truck. Supply for the demand needed
Alright thanks guys. Do you think I can get by without upgrading my alt? I’m looking at at least doing the big 3 and getting a xs power battery

Alright thanks guys. Do you think I can get by without upgrading my alt? I’m looking at at least doing the big 3 and getting a xs power battery

You would probably be better off upgrading the alternator. Start with the big 3. Your battery is a storage unit, and your alternator recharges the storage unit. Go and play it loud for an hour and see how your electrical holds up. Turn on your lights, your AC, use your turn signals, plug some stuff into your cigaretter or usb, and see if you have any dimming lights or voltage problems. If you do (after the big 3), you need a battery that can put out enough amperage. If you have problems right away then you need a larger battery to keep up with your demand in the moment.
If after an hour your voltage starts to steadily drop, your alternator can't recharge enough to keep up with the demand, and you would need an alternator that can produce more to keep up with what you are using.

What am I missing here: That amp puts out rated 1920w RMS (and aren't those underrated)? That speaker is rated 900w RMS. Unless you are dialing down that amp, its going to kill that sub, if you didn't already.

What year gmc 1500? 05+ or earlier?

Clipping is when the amp is pushing the signal too loud. It is when the wave, or signal is being cut short / clipped. The cause of It has nothing to do with the speakers. I would guess that the clipping and your power issue are two separate things. The clipping would be because of an improperly set gain where the signal is set wrong. I swear I looked at those taramps, and the signal voltage is 3v max. (I could be completely wrong though). I remember there was some setting that was really odd on those.

Your crossovers / pass filters might be set wrong and cutting off what you want and that would be losing your power. If you have a multimeter you can check your dc voltage and see what wattage is putting out.

Upgrade the alternator as you do the big3. Best thing I ever did to my silverado. I have a 200a upgraded stocker (rebuilt) and a 270a excessive amperage. The dual alternator mounting brackets have dropped in price a lot, over 10 years ago cost. Just saying. You don't know what you're missing. If you're local to an alternator rebuild shop, see what they can offer for you.

Upgrade the alternator as you do the big3. Best thing I ever did to my silverado. I have a 200a upgraded stocker (rebuilt) and a 270a excessive amperage. The dual alternator mounting brackets have dropped in price a lot, over 10 years ago cost. Just saying. You don't know what you're missing. If you're local to an alternator rebuild shop, see what they can offer for you.

right on thanks a lot. Always open to different options. I’vehad many systems which I definitely should have upgraded an alt and had a second battery but never did. But also I’ve never ran more than 1500rms until what I have now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...