Who is a real true SQ devotee and what does it mean to you?

What does SQ car audio mean to you

• Building the biggest substage you can afford then figuring out what front stage can 'keep up' later

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Start with a plan, engineer the most balanced system possible so tuning doesn't become a crutch.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Starting with the front stage and then incorporating a nice, loud substage

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Subs are a necessary evil that are useful but present tuning problems. Do just enough, but no more.

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Building up a car audio system is an engineering design process. Randomly put together parts yields random results. When you view the system holistically, everything makes a lot more sense, and the guess work goes away. Know the hardware you run. Know how it fits.

Speaking of subs alone, when you look at them scientifically, you'll realize that vastly overshadow the other hardware in the system. You can buy a plain jane 12" sub, say 12mm x-max. You put it in a box, and it goes down to 40Hz (within 3dB). It has a relatively generic sensitivity, 87dB-90dB, and you feed it 300-400w of power. This ho-hum sub will outpace EVERY speaker set on the market you can buy with the common x-over points we pick. Now we can get louder then the sub, but it requires us to have a a speaker set that has the sensitivity and thermal handling capability to compete AND (big and here) we must cross the woofer high, 125Hz minimum and more typically towards 150Hz in order to keep excursion low enough to not reach the mechanical limits. No 6.5" woofer, not even one with 12mm x-max is capable of a lower x-over point and still competing with a plain, low powered sub without reaching mechanical limits before the sub tops out. For the intended frequency response, 6.5" woofers are just too small for that kind of output.

So, all these monster sub setups, high wattage, yada yada behemoths are simply excessive in terms of correctly reproducing the entire frequency spectrum (20Hz to 20kHz) evenly. There is simply no point other then to artificially accent the low end frequencies beyond what the artist originally intended.

They don't realize they are missing out. Just like the noobs that come in here, and say they don't want a sub because they just listen to Metal/Rock music.

Some good speaker sets will get you down into the lower frequencies well and with some cabin gain will get you low enough to have no need for a sub. It's just that you'll be quite limited in output capability doing so which may or may not be a problem.

generally speaking to care about SQ you need deep pockets...
That's just not true.

It's about the investment of time and thought put into installation and tuning, not the equipment. Sure, if you want to chase that last 5% of what's possible, it might be nutty, but the same can be said if you're wanting to get into the 160s...

Does the general public know there is more to this hobby than 'THUMP, THUMP, THUMP?'
Unfortunately, the crowd of people who like to "be heard" have given all of mobile audio a pretty bad name to even the rest of the audio hobby. A lot of people in home audio have a pretty dim view of what's possible in a vehicle, even if they're willing to spend $40k+ on a 2-channel setup at home.

I am a sq fan, but compatitions are not my thing. SQ takes alot of work, fine tunning, and some good equipment. I like to take pride in my system, and seeing the look on peoples faces as they hear how good my system sounds and having it sound great and crystal clear at high volumes. For me it is a balanced attack. Everything in conjuntion with each other. Most of all ZERO distortion at high volumes. If there is a hint of distortion, there is work to be done. For me, it is not about bing bang booming down the street just to annoy people at stop signs and what not. When a system all blends together it is a beautiful thing. Let other people boom boom down the road and try to impress others from the outsided. It's what it sounds on this inside that counts!!

2003 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X990

Front Stage: Image dynamics CTX 65CS Comps

Rear Fill: Polk Audio DB6500

Speaker Amp: Alpine MRP-F450

Sub Stage Amp: Alpine MRP-M650

Sub Stage: Single 12' Boston Acoustics G5

Sub Box: Custom hand build ported tuned at 35 hertz

Monster amp kits, dynamat extream/ System built and tuned with sq in mind!

generally speaking to care about SQ you need deep pockets...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

My last few setups have all been the least expensive I've owned in years, and yet were the best sounding. You could easily invest less than $1500 in equipment and have a great sounding system. It's is the investment in time and knowledge that most people struggle with when it comes to SQ. That and they've never heard a good system to know what a good system sounds like. It's easy to recognize, and to build, a loud ground pounder system.

And that's not to downplay the intelligence of those who compete in SPL. Yes, it takes a lot of time, knowledge and work to build a true competition SPL system. That's not what I'm referring to.

Get some screamers and call it a day.

But really, where to start? I'm doing just substage for now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

loud systems = attention

thats what it is all about.. lets show off.. rattle the cars till they fall apart.. as long as they hear my rattle they know im banging.. don't forget hearing me blocks away.. i just want to be heard and get that attention.. it really gets me laid! i mean hell.. how can you showoff with SQ? blast them out with some good ole SQ tunes?

..lol

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i compete in SQ.. i used to do the .. "lets me loud" .. yeah its fun.. until you actually build a system and stop playing around with some bump. it gets to the point its too loud to listen to without hurting yourself in the process.. thats when i made the change

i do still compete in spl.. but i don't beat down the block and this is with a separate car

here is my SQ car - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3108799

here is the toy.. no we are not serious about SPL comp.. just messing around - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3373693

I bought some IDQs, Focal Polyglass comp sets, and a DLS amp for my new ride (whenever I get it). Figured it would be cool to try a sq oriented build.

Im honestly thinking of just scrapping it all and doing something louder. The IDQs sound great but I just NEED to have at least 150db in my daily ride. I havent owned a car that didnt do at least 150db on music in years. Hell, for the last 2 years Ive been driving cars that do a solid 155db on music.

I listen to mostly rap when Im driving around and I just NEED that loudness.

To clarify once again because I wasn't meaning to make this an SPL vs. SPL thing... I am not putting down one vs. the other. I am an SQ guy who can appreciate both types of setups. Just trying to understand how other perceive these things and why some people state a goal then go out and create a setup that is designed for the opposite or close to it.

What's funny is one of the higher scoring SQ setups in my area has two Fi BTLS and a Cactus 5kW. ID and Orion for front stage.

People ought to stop thinking that uber omg bass will stop a setup from possessing nice SQ properties.

What's funny is one of the higher scoring SQ setups in my area has two Fi BTLS and a Cactus 5kW. ID and Orion for front stage.

People ought to stop thinking that uber omg bass will stop a setup from possessing nice SQ properties.

Orion what?

I don't think bass kills a front stage. You can do a monster substage paired with a comparable front stage but most people on here don't seem to have the resources for that. So usually tons of money and time gets thrown at the substage, much less time and money get thrown and the front stage. And they call it SQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

eharri3

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
eharri3
philly
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies