Whining and ticking noise from speakers after installing new amp and line out converter

Participant count
  • Participant list

Toyshop

CarAudio.com Newbie
just installed a new 5 channel amplifier in my car using a d518 line output converter, and I am now getting a ticking from the speakers at 0 gain and 0 volume. I also am getting a whine when the car is running that goes up with rpm. I have tried re grounding the amp and verifying that it has a good ground. The head unit is a continental tr7412ub-or, which looks period correct in my car so I'd like to keep it, but it doesn't have rca pre outs. The amp is a soundstream T5.2500dl. I tried using a different line output converter, just a cheap metra one, and it seemed to help slightly. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also I am using high quality rcas that are ran on the opposite side to the power cable. I rewired the speakers as well and it did not fix it. I also tried adding a ground loop isolator and it actually made it worse. Thanks

Never even heard of continetal head unit. Sounds like some Chinese brand which are not known for being all that clear. You can get a old school head unit from the '90s or early 2000s with 4v or 5v preouts and would be a massive improvement on sound. Plus Soundstream isn't the Soundstream of the old days either. Only one from Soundstream I would get is that one that Thx runs and it is a 4 channel made in Korea.

What rca cables you said high quality but which ones? Also if you want to keep that head unit maybe try a Audiocontrol LOC or go to a DSP so you can set everything on it. Where is the ground exactly? Also what size wire and brand? Sometimes cheap wire will cause what you are going through as well. Always use OFC if possible or at the very least a high end 4 gauge CCA of some sorts. If it is a walmart wire kit then trash it and get something else. GL!

Continental is actually a tire company, sounds weird but I guess they make head units as well haha. I am pretty sure they are stinger rcas but I threw out the box- they are the blue ones where all 4 are connected together. The loc I'm using is a ds18 v5hl, off ebay, but to check that I bought a cheap metra one to see if it helped, but it was the same issue so I kind of ruled out the loc. I'm running stinger 4 Guage ofc for the power and ground. It was at first grounded to the strut tower in the trunk but to test I grounded it directly to the battery (it's in the trunk). Grounded to the battery made no difference. Thank you so much for your input

I also just noticed that with the rcas disconnected I do get a quiet high pitched sound from the speaker, but no ticking and no rpm whine

I know Continental is a tire company. Also DS18 is garbage stuff so is Metra. Try a better radio ground. Ground it direct from the head unit harness to a spot behind the dash instead of using the wire harness ground. If they are stinger they should say so or have markings on the cable themselves. Also no after checking Continental does not make that head unit. Some other company called VDO makes it for them from what I have seen from a few places as they are the same head units. Neither of them exactly have a good rep. Always better with a head unit with 4v or 5v rca outputs. I would find a old used old school one if you are concerned about the looks. Lot's of them out there on eBay and DIYMA from the '90s for a decent price.

Okay thank you! I just tried giving the head unit it's own ground rather than using the stock harness and it didn't fix anything. Before I got the amp the head unit worked fine, but that may be because I didn't have an amp to amplify that tick (speakers were running off of the head unit before)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...